Hot Rod Forum banner

Blasting media

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  daves66valiant 
#1 ·
Hello, this is my first post on this forum, :welcome: won't be the last either. I've been lurking for a while now and there is a lot of good info on this site! I have done a search on media blasting and have come to the consensus that soda is out, Starlite, Vitogrit 70, corncob, and plastic is in. I'm doing a 1967 Mercury Cyclone GT rag top, which has original paint. What would be the best way to get this down to bare metal with abrasive? Also where are you guys sourcing this stuff? I see it talked about all over but have no idea where to get it at a good price.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work.

Mark

#2 ·
Dunno about getting anything in Manitoba..long ways from me..My take on what you are doing is to use your conventional sanders to get as much of the area as possible and then blast the tough spots..works for me anyway..saves a lot on media and mess..also be prepared to prime as soon as a part is clean so as not to get too far ahead of oneself and have rust rear its ugly head..I have a preferance for the SPI epoxy as I have parts here that I cleaned and primed 2 years ago and no rust..yup gonna have to scuff em before I paint em but tha tis easy..at least compared to a do over..

Sam

#6 ·
Nothing wrong with soda. Perfectly good media. You just have to vacuum and blow all of it out of the crevasses. Plus you need to neutralize the soda since it is alkaline Water/vinegar mix does very well. A second light blasting with a more abrassive media adds bite. My guy uses red garnet. Absolutely zero warpage on any of the panels. Rust and old body filler requires a more abrasive media though.

anacapasodablasting.com did mine. I would do it again in a second. I have not had any adhesion issues since I uses a good epoxy after blasting.

Paint companies will not warranty the use of soda because a lot of blaster don't follw the neutralization and extra blasting step. Spoke with Barry K and he agrees it's a great media in the right hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.