Blasting trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 90
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blasting trouble

Guys,

I'm trying to troubleshoot my blasting set up and need some advice. I started with an inexpensive siphon blaster and Amberblast from Northern Tool but it kept getting clogged. I'm blasting mostly rims and other thick stuff, but will move on to body panels soon. I have a drier on the line so it's not water in the system. I figured it was the cheap blaster so I popped for a $500 pressure blaster but the same thing happened. Now I'm thinking it may be the Amberblast. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? What is the coarseness of media I should aim for? My pressure blaster says nothing below an 80 grit. I was thinking of going for Aluminum oxide in a 120 grit, but I'm not sure this will get the job done. What do you think? Do I need to think of changing to a larger ceramic tip? I'm using the one that the system came with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 AM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,608
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 129 Posts
dupont starblast is the best for a small blaster. it is a fine media and will not clog. be sure you have at least 10 lbs more pressure in the tank than in the blast hose or the media will not fall into the stream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 271
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
dupont starblast is the best for a small blaster. it is a fine media and will not clog. be sure you have at least 10 lbs more pressure in the tank than in the blast hose or the media will not fall into the stream.
And also you must have a compresser that will generate enough air volume,
with a large enough reserve.
It's not just about pressure.

120 psi, is fine, but at 3-4 cubic feet per min. aint worth spit.
Gotta be able to maintane 90-100psi at 16-18 cubic feet per minute. Then you can blast at will.
Mabe I'm taking it to extreme here. but you see the point?

Sandblasting requires a large volume of air. Regardless of pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,608
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 129 Posts
blast at the lowest pressure possible .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Schoust's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ct.
Posts: 149
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes Shine is correct you need big volume or it simply will not work right. I use a piss ant blaster from Harbor freight figuring that I was only blasting and it worked pretty good and did the job perfectly. Oh and be careful with the panels you will warp them if you don't have the correct media and pressure.........Ask me how I know this Lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,608
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 129 Posts
your small blaster will work much better at low pressure on the blast hose. i use a lot of volume but still try to stay at 35 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Rag top bird's Avatar
Hot rods are still the king
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: birmingham alabama
Posts: 326
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69
Guys,

I'm trying to troubleshoot my blasting set up and need some advice. I started with an inexpensive siphon blaster and Amberblast from Northern Tool but it kept getting clogged. I'm blasting mostly rims and other thick stuff, but will move on to body panels soon. I have a drier on the line so it's not water in the system. I figured it was the cheap blaster so I popped for a $500 pressure blaster but the same thing happened. Now I'm thinking it may be the Amberblast. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? What is the coarseness of media I should aim for? My pressure blaster says nothing below an 80 grit. I was thinking of going for Aluminum oxide in a 120 grit, but I'm not sure this will get the job done. What do you think? Do I need to think of changing to a larger ceramic tip? I'm using the one that the system came with.
Where is your drier located
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 90
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a decent compressor, 60 gallon tank and 12 cfm at 90 psi. I can't blast all day with it but it's not bad. I have my garage plumbed with pipe and the drier is on this line. Then I plug a 3/8 hose line into the drier. My limited experience and the blaster manual tells me that if I tried to blast at 35psi I wouldn't get anywhere. The manual says 80-110 psi and that is what seems to work, at least when the Amberblast hasn't clogged the tip. Shine, can you tell me if this Sarblast is sold by any of the usual stores? If I have to order it online it will cost more to ship than to buy. There is a local company that has Aluminum oxide in a variety of grits and I'm thinking of using it. What do you guys think about 120 grit? Lastly, can anyone give me some advice about an afordable cabinet blaster with a dust removal/reclamation system? I have a cheap setup now and I'm getting tired of struggling to see what I'm working on.

Thanks for the help,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Rag top bird's Avatar
Hot rods are still the king
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: birmingham alabama
Posts: 326
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69
I have a decent compressor, 60 gallon tank and 12 cfm at 90 psi. I can't blast all day with it but it's not bad. I have my garage plumbed with pipe and the drier is on this line. Then I plug a 3/8 hose line into the drier. My limited experience and the blaster manual tells me that if I tried to blast at 35psi I wouldn't get anywhere. The manual says 80-110 psi and that is what seems to work, at least when the Amberblast hasn't clogged the tip. Shine, can you tell me if this Sarblast is sold by any of the usual stores? If I have to order it online it will cost more to ship than to buy. There is a local company that has Aluminum oxide in a variety of grits and I'm thinking of using it. What do you guys think about 120 grit? Lastly, can anyone give me some advice about an afordable cabinet blaster with a dust removal/reclamation system? I have a cheap setup now and I'm getting tired of struggling to see what I'm working on.

Thanks for the help,
Mike
You need about 50 foot of of pipe before you install your drier that will let the air cool before it gets to the drier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Schoust's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ct.
Posts: 149
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use good old Black Beauty but as stated before you must have the compressor to be able to make the volume of air that is required to blast with the media that you are using.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richlands, NC
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using that amberblast stuff I just got my blasting setup up and working from scratch I ran into two problems
When using the dead man valve The tip clogged up badly when using the siphon gun it was not as bad but did not work that great either
I was using the med grit amberblast and also tried the fine grit
While messing around with it I decided to sift the fine media and try that
Worked better but not that great with either dead man valve or the siphon gun
ended up combining the siphon gun and the 110 lb pressure pot tank from harbor freight and creating a pa blaster
Still had a problem with the siphon gun as where the air ket sits in the gun half blocks the flow of media from the pickup to out the front What i did was just chop the air jet down so the media could flow directly into the nozzle and the air jet tip was aft of the media feed line now It works like a dream I dont have to sift even the med media at all just poor it in the tank and get to blasting
I am using the cheap alc I think brand siphon gun from northern tool and the 110 lb pressure pot balster from hf the gun was like 24 bucks But I will need to buy a carbide nozzle soon enough as the steel ones the gun came with wear prety quick Good thing my air compressor can keep up.
Any questions send me a email
Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sandblasting, soda blasting, media blasting? 60Metropolitan Body - Exterior 18 07-30-2012 03:27 AM
total truck dissasembly? before blasting with what? designo Body - Exterior 3 03-22-2009 01:18 PM
Help with blasting and paint gbowne1 Body - Exterior 4 08-01-2006 05:41 PM
Kids and trouble Kevin45 Hotrodders' Lounge 15 02-20-2006 04:27 PM
Soda Blasting VS. Chemical Dipping iwanta32fordtruck Body - Exterior 4 12-21-2004 02:09 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.