bleeding brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 06:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post bleeding brakes

where do i start, front to rear, or rear to front?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Terry;
Start with the wheel the furtherest away. Right rear,then left rear,right front,left front.
Good Luck.`````

Troy;
69s Forever
Old 06-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

depends on your car and if you have a bleed valve on your master cylinder, the manual for my camaro says to start closest to the master cylinder (e.g. drivers side front) then work away
Old 06-04-2003, 05:04 AM

Last photo:

The only thing the bleeder valve on the master cyl. will bleed, is the master cyl.The only time it needs blead is when it has been empty or upon installation.

If you start bleeding closest to the master cyl. you will be double bleeding the lines at each wheel.

You might ask some other professional mechanics there opinion. I`ve been doing it this way for 50 years and it works good.

It might be interesting to hear everyones opinion on this subject. Good Luck.

Troy;
Old 06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Go Pokes!

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by troy-curt:
<strong>Terry;
Start with the wheel the furtherest away. Right rear,then left rear,right front,left front.
Good Luck.`````

Troy;
69s Forever</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is how I have been doing it for 30 years and it works great!

Old 06-04-2003, 04:36 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have been going from the furthest first for over 30 years also. It has worked for me. I would look close at the manual that you have. Everyone keeps telling me that things are changing. Maybe that is one of them. Who knows! What year car is it that says to start at the one closest. I can say with quite certainty that you won't bleed the wheels with the bleeder at the MC. I don't care what any book says, I won't believe that will work.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

Did I say you bleed the wheels using the bleeder on the MC?
No, I said that my owners manual says to do each wheel in the reverse order to that originally quoted, I don't know if there's a genuine technical reason or if it's just chevrolet being contrary for the sake of it, since the original post didn't state what car or year I was just pointing out that if there is a valid argument for doing it the other way round because of the particular set-up on that car then it's worth trying to find out what the manufacturers suggest.
I don't think it's worth taking chances on something as important as brakes!
Turning round to someone in traction and saying "well that's the way I've been doing it for 50 years" is little consolation if they crashed their car due to air left in the system by doing it the opposite to the manufacturers recomendation.

</Rant mode off>
Old 06-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Suspended

On my car there are high lift coil springs in the rear. I tried several times and ways to bleed them. Never could do it. Took it to the shop and they used the "pressurized way". Maybe it was the master cylinder angle, who knows.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:54 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

We have been down this road in the past but repeating things over and over is the military way to make sure every troop gets it right!! I have several Motors Manuals for many years and many cars and most every one states to start bleeding at the furtherest wheel cylinder/caliper and work to the closest. I have two Cadi manuals and they say the same thing, and my 57 Chevy manual says the same and my Chiltons Early Broncos/F100/150 says the same. And that is what I was taught in the late 40s. Camaros, I have not gone there so if your manual says that, then I will always follow the manual until it proves to be wrong.

Trees
Old 06-12-2003, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

Trees is right, there is only one way to bleed brakes. I worked at chevy when the camaros came out, I know camaros screw for screw, I don`t even know how many i`ve had apart. Theres 3 apart in my shop now. As stated there is only one way to do it right. The same question is on most certifacation tests.

Troy;
Old 06-13-2003, 05:23 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by troy-curt
Trees is right, there is only one way to bleed brakes. I worked at chevy when the camaros came out, I know camaros screw for screw, I don`t even know how many i`ve had apart. Theres 3 apart in my shop now. As stated there is only one way to do it right. The same question is on most certifacation tests.

Troy;
it's a 78 camaro, disc front, drum rear, my haynes manual, owners manual and a restoration book I have (can't remember off the top of my head who it's by) all say to bleed the master cylinder first (regardless of wether it has been off the car or not), then do drivers front, passenger front, drivers rear then passenger rear

And as Trees said "do it how it says in the manual"

And as I already said, I am not certain that the other way won't work, just that it's not worth taking chances on and maybe it's worth terry double checking a manual for his car/setup to be certain.

I don't mind if you want to do it that way Troy, and if it works then great. I don't mind being proven wrong, but if Chevrolet AND Haynes AND another reliable source all say to start front and work away then that's the way I'm going to do iton my car (and have done several times).

Just because you have more years of experience than me doesn't automatically make you right (especially as your trying to tell me that my manuals can't possibly have written in them the sequence of words that they do).
If you don't believe me, I'll scan them and post them on here if you like.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:57 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Andybird, I am always open to learning, so would you please scan your three referendes so I can add them to my library.

Thanks, mate

Trees
Old 06-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

will do, don't have them with me on account of how 1 of them is on the bench in the garage with 882 heads as paper weights holding the pages open, and one of them is with the guy who is rebuilding my TH-350 for me, but I'll bring one of them to work on Monday to scan a couple of pages
Old 06-13-2003, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

Never to old to learn .Watch that brake light warning light it can be very tricky.

Troy;

My confused smiley is gone ,guess I used it up?????
Old 06-13-2003, 07:17 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have been told by some people that some of the newer cars have to be bleed differently. As in not in the order we are used to. I have not seen it in print as of yet, but don't believe it applies to anything pre-ABS. When working on brakes, I will usually follow any reliable manual that I see, just to be safe. If it is something that doesn't sound right to me, I usually investigate further, like to atleast 1 more source. I do know that my Chilton's Mustang 1965-1973 book says RR-LR-RF-LF. Unfortunately I can't think of any Chevy books that I would have to check in. Would like to see where it says another order though. Always willing to learn something new. That's one of the reasons that I read these posts.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.