Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bleeding Hydroboost
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Bleeding Hydroboost

Guys, I was driving my truck around my property this morning and as I turned the steering wheel sharply to one direction the system started making a loud knocking noise. As I stepped on the brakes to stop the truck the system made more noise and braking effort was hard. I parked the truck next to the shop and checked the power steering pump. It turns out the reservoir was very low (meaning nearly empty). I added fluid and now I have some hydraulic assist on the brakes again. The power steering never lost assist. The problem now is that I suspect there is air in the system and it makes a lot of noise as I turn the wheel or step on the brakes. The truck is a 2000 Silverado 2500 with 139,000 miles and I haven't had any issues with pump noise, brake or power assist until this incident this morning. I don't see any fluid on the ground so I don't think anything ruptured. I did find that the pump appears to be weeping and I think this is mostly a failure on my part to periodically check the fluid level in the pump.

I've never had to work on one of these systems, how would I go about bleeding it?

Last edited by Blazin72; 05-06-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: corrected mileage