Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bleeding Hydroboost
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Guys, I was driving my truck around my property this morning and as I turned the steering wheel sharply to one direction the system started making a loud knocking noise. As I stepped on the brakes to stop the truck the system made more noise and braking effort was hard. I parked the truck next to the shop and checked the power steering pump. It turns out the reservoir was very low (meaning nearly empty). I added fluid and now I have some hydraulic assist on the brakes again. The power steering never lost assist. The problem now is that I suspect there is air in the system and it makes a lot of noise as I turn the wheel or step on the brakes. The truck is a 2000 Silverado 2500 with 139,000 miles and I haven't had any issues with pump noise, brake or power assist until this incident this morning. I don't see any fluid on the ground so I don't think anything ruptured. I did find that the pump appears to be weeping and I think this is mostly a failure on my part to periodically check the fluid level in the pump.

I've never had to work on one of these systems, how would I go about bleeding it?
Check this, but turning the wheels from lock to lock several times will bleed an ordinary PS pump...

It might be easier on the system to do this w/the front wheels off the ground or when rolling slowly.