Blending Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Owner RPM Resto & Custom

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blending Question

Hey guys....I haven't been on this site in quite a while but need to do a blend unfortunately and was hoping to get some good advice.

I'm finishing up a 70 Mach 1 Mustang for a customer and while putting my rear window stainless on I noticed a crack in my bodywork. Last person to do the car did a hack job on the rear quarter replacement and I did my best to pretty it back up. There must have been some shifting where the new quarter meets the roof and I got a 1 inch hairline crack at the seam. I v'd it out last night and put some fiberglass in it.

I'm used to spraying whole cars and don't have much experience blending in repairs. The paint is about 8 months old and I have some left from the same can still. It's the top of the line PPG stuff....color and clear. An experienced guy I know suggested blending the clear into what I felt was a large area. The whole top of the rear quarter and into the roof. For a 1 inch repair I thought that was a lot....but like I said I don't have much experience with it.

What technique would you guys suggest and how large of an area?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
If you post a photo showing where it is we could be of more help. Take the photo showing the whole area and then mark the photo where the repair is if it can't be seen very easy.

I have to tell you the fiberglass repair is as close to worthless as you can get. It is VERY likely it will be cracked before it is buffed.

On the blending, if there is a sharp body line it is likely you can back tape it there and stop it. But post a photo for more help. Or at least give a detailed explaination of exactly where primer spot is and we can look at a photo of the car found on the net or go from memory as to how it could be done on a Mustang of that year.

Brian
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Owner RPM Resto & Custom

Last photo:

Brian....here's a pic of the car. It's assembled now but this shows where the crack is..... The black line on the bottom is an easy spot to backtape but there's no hardline on top since it goes into the roof. The actual primer spot should be less than 1.5"x1.5" when my repair is done. And aside from possibly lead...what else would you suggest besides fiberglass filler to prevent it from cracking again? The panel is welded in that area but with the flex associated with the unibody I'm sure it's always going see some tweaking.

Paul

Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28
Brian....here's a pic of the car. It's assembled now but this shows where the crack is..... The black line on the bottom is an easy spot to backtape but there's no hardline on top since it goes into the roof. The actual primer spot should be less than 1.5"x1.5" when my repair is done. And aside from possibly lead...what else would you suggest besides fiberglass filler to prevent it from cracking again? The panel is welded in that area but with the flex associated with the unibody I'm sure it's always going see some tweaking.

Paul

There is NO way it is going to crack filler there if the quarter is welded properly, NO WAY. If we were talking about a 600 hp drag car with slicks, I'll listen, but that car, NO WAY.

I think you are going to be going "up and over" on that one, shooting the roof and other quarter. You could break it at that line pretty easy staying on top of the quarters. Spot painting it and blending out the clear is going to be a gamble. Being that clear is fresh it makes it much easier and higher posibility for success though.

Brian
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 PM

You layed down too nice of a paint job to blend out the clear on this one. The sail panel is just so wide, and since you haven't done many clear blends before I would say you should clear both quarters and the roof like Martinsr suggested.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

a "blend "in the clear is called "Burning" the clear..it cant be done in this case and if it can it will be seen at certain angles you can "blend "the base coat ,no problem but the entire rear section of the car will have to be cleared...roof and 1/4's as far as the seam goes...martin nailed it...most likly the welds were ground down to far and thats the worst spot to put a seam to begin with...I'd clean out the whole seam and get every bit of bondo out but if its not stepped and just butted together you may be in for trouble,just pray that the other side dont crack too...heres the proper placement of the seam and flange ,to prevent warpage.I know how tough it is to start all over again but its the only way to trouble shoot the problem,and the cheapest way in the long run.I feel for ya budd we've all been there,some people just dont care about quality just getting paid and should be thrown in the trunk and brought to the crusher.....but still I've seen worse!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2111 (Small).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	39494  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-16-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.