Hot Rod Forum banner

Blending in a repair to paint?

865 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  milo 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a write-up or thread documenting how a repair to existing good paint is accomplished? The process is a mystery to this newbie and I am curious to know the steps involved.

Thanks, Scot

#2 ·
Blending paint is an acquired talent at best. People who are excellent overall painters will not attempt to blend into existing paint. All I can say is practice, practice, practice.

A simple search with the tern "blending paint" turned up these threads.

Vince

#3 ·
Being an amateur, I paint a complete section to a body line if possible. With basecoat-clearcoat, I spray the base to just cover the repair then clear a whole section to a body line (again if possible). One trick I learned was to put a strip of masking tape a the body line but leave the edge torwards the repair curled up, this will avoid a masking line at the edge of the repair.
The pros on here may have different ideas, then again, I am not a pro, but this works for me.

#4 ·
Thanks for the search results. There were a few threads I hadn't found yet...interesting info.

I guess I was wanting the "for dummies" version, i.e. explaining the REALLY basic stuff. I'm just really curious about this because, to me, this is more "like magic" than an entire paint job. A long while back, I took a black metallic BC/CC car to the body shop. I thought I was pretty picky but I couldn't see where the repair was made. Well, aside from the fact that the fixed area looked smoother than the rest of the car. I've always wondered how they did it.

Questions like...

What grit paper do you use to sand so the clear sticks? Red scuff pad or finer?

Do you spray clear on unsanded areas?

If not (which is what I assume), can you sand and buff out the scuffed up areas that didn't get cleared? This is what I imagine would happen if you tried to "blend" in the clear. Hope my terminology is not incorrect here.

If you have a hard taped line of clear, can you sand this flat and buff out?

Why is clear hard to match up?

If the original paint job is relatively fresh and you use the same clear, is it easier to match up?

Anyway, what I was also hoping to find was a pictorial tutorial type of thing that showed all the steps involved, procedures, and all the basic stuff of a typical body shop repair job. That would make it really easy to understand.

Off to do more reading... :)

Thanks, Scot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.