Blessing in disguise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blessing in disguise

Well i had my transmission looked at at a shop today. Turns out my FMX in my 70 mercury cougar 351c has went for a poop. So i am deciding to go with a C6 . My question is what will i have to change to slide in a C6 in the place of my old FMX . Are they the same length, Bolt up the same, lines in different spots, does the cross-member fit both tranny's? All answers are greatly appreciated.

thanks guys
bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You will have to measure your existing FMX and compare it to the dimensions for the C-6 HERE to determine the changes that may have to be made.

The cooler lines can flow either way if there is only the radiator being used, so there is no real way to hook them up wrong.
If a cooler is to be used you will want to flow into the radiator cooler, and then the external cooler, and back to the transmission.

The front is the feed/out, and the rear is the return/in, on the C-6 transmission.

I couldn't find this information for the FMX.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hey Mat thanks for the info. I am aware of all the hose placements but, am not sure about the length of the C6 compared to the FMX. I must first ask the right people or go out and buy a core , for i need to have one anyways to rebuild. Also i need to know the spline for both my yoke and the spline on the tail of the trany. ( see if they match up ) BUT MY SEARCH CONTINUES ! oh also.... the diagram says FE block / big block / and small block. Isn't a Cleavland and in between from the small and big. Like its not one or the other. If anyone knows what to classify this motor i would appreciate it.

thanks kindly

bill
Old 06-03-2005, 12:47 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The 351C has the same mounting pattern as the small block. The 351M/400 has the same as a 385 Series.

Why have you decided to go to a C6? The FMX is more than enough to hold that engine on the street. -BROADER PERFORMANCE- can either modify your FMX or sell you the correct C6 you need.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.