Blew fuses on both sides of relay. Any ideas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blew fuses on both sides of relay. Any ideas?

Yesterday the cooling fan on my sedan delivery quit running while on my way to a car show. I swapped out the relay and the switch while at the show but that didn't solve the problem so I drove it home with no fan (cool here in WI, so never went over 190).

Today I discovered that I had blown the fuse to the main power to the fan as well as the fuse to switch side of the relay which controls that main power.

In further snooping around, I discovered the main line to the fan may have blown because of a wire which had worked itself loose from its tab on the fan harness. That wire is VERY close to the ground tab on the harness and it is altogether possible that the two touched and it went to dead ground, thus blowing that fuse.

My question is, could that also somehow be the cause of the fuse blowing on the switch circuit. These two circuits only meet at the fan relay and I just can't figure how juice from the main circuit contact could have had any effect on the switch circuit contact. Anybody ever had a similar situation or know if a relay can do that?

Could well be that the switch circuit blew for some totally unrelated reason. But I haven't been able to track down any evidence of a short or a possible short in the switch wiring. After replacing the fuses, securing the fan harness wiring, and testing both circuits for continuity, I hooked things back up and the fan is now working fine.

I haven't yet popped the top on the relay that was installed when the fuse blew to see if there is any evidence of damage inside. Perhaps after lunch I'll do that.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

Just checked the insides of the relay, an no evidence of anything shorting. Things were clean as a whistle and operating normally.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If the short was after the relay and the relay was energized it would blow both fuses as it would really be 1 piece of wire at that point.

I am guessing the fuse closer to the fan is a lower value than the one nearer to the fuse block

Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

The temperature control side of the relay (the coil) is a seperate circuit from the power side (the contacts).
The temp. control side is likely powered only when the ignition is on. And the power side is powered hot at all times thus reducing the current thru ignition switch.
You say the relay looks good internally so the only other thing is a wiring error. Easy now.
With the fan running check the current draw in the temp. control side of relay. If the measured current is only the coil load (.15 amps) it is wired correctly. The fuse issue must be a coincidence.
Replace the relay just for hell of it.

vicrod
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
...I am guessing the fuse closer to the fan is a lower value than the one nearer to the fuse block
Just to be clear, when I say I blew fuses on both sides of the relay, I mean I blew the fuse on the "switch/control" side of the relay and I blew the fuse on the "power" side of the relay. My OP may have not have been clear enough since I think your answer assumes I had two fuses on the high power wire, one before the relay and one after the relay.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
...You say the relay looks good internally so the only other thing is a wiring error.
That pretty well confirms my suspicion. I can test the switch/control side of the relay tomorrow but I believe it will show the proper current draw. What I now think happened is that the loose wire I found shorted the power side of the relay and blew that fuse. Then, when I opened up my console and started fiddling with the wires to troubleshoot things, I might well have shorted to switch/control side of the relay as well, thus blowing that fuse. I thought I had the battery switch turned fully off at that point, but possibly not.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

So I know you were driving the car yesterday. Did you get home okay ? How's the fan now ?

454 RATTLER
Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler
...So I know you were driving the car yesterday. Did you get home okay ?
If I hadn't made it home last night, it would have been YOUR cell phone lighting up to come pick me up off the roadside.

Yes, the fan seems to be working fine now. Hopefully it was just that loose connection at the harness that created the problem and will now be permanently fixed.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
That pretty well confirms my suspicion. I can test the switch/control side of the relay tomorrow but I believe it will show the proper current draw. What I now think happened is that the loose wire I found shorted the power side of the relay and blew that fuse. Then, when I opened up my console and started fiddling with the wires to troubleshoot things, I might well have shorted to switch/control side of the relay as well, thus blowing that fuse. I thought I had the battery switch turned fully off at that point, but possibly not.
Yup, that makes a lot of sense, you should consider the insulated connectors, they are great for stuff like relays that have the terminals close together

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.