blinkers and brake lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

blinkers and brake lights

i have a 50 chevy car. from the factory it only has a brake light and a tail light, having a blinker was optional. my problem is that there is only one double filiment light bulb in each housing. so upon wiring up the taillights i am wondering what is the correct way. i have the taillight hooked up to the smaller filiment and theturn and brake hooked up to the brighter one. my problem is when the blinker is on and i hit the brakes the blinker stops blinking. i thaught the easiest solution would be to put an amber light in the reverse lights and use those as blinkers, but i don't want to loose my reverse lights. i know what is happening the brake lights are feeding power to the blinkers causing them to stop blinking and the brake light to take over. any helpfull hints?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 PM
NUCKINFUTS MOTORSPORTS

you chose the correct filaments. do you have the correct turn signal switch.same wire to bulb for turn and stop. sounds like you have a bad ground if your feeds and switch are correct.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

And, you sure you have the correct flasher.

Last edited by sqzbox; 06-21-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 AM

Last photo:

If I'm reading your question right, it sounds like you are trying to combine the functions of the blinkers and the brake lights simply by hooking them both to the bright filament of the same bulb. For this to work right, these functions need to be combined in the turn signal switch.

Here is one way to solve your dilemma:

1. Make sure you have a turn signal switch that has a brake light input. Universal turn signal switches, like the ones made by Signal-Stat, come in two flavors, one is for separate brake and turn lamps (like heavy trucks and foreign cars) and the other combines the brake and turn signals into one lamp (like a typical American car), this is the one you want.

2. On your brake light switch there are two wires, one is the power wire and the other goes to the brake lamps. Using a test lamp, determine which wire goes to the brake lamps and disconnect it. Cut the terminal off of it and splice a wire to it long enough to reach the turn signal switch (14 gauge for 6v, or 16 gauge for 12v). This wire will become the right rear turn/stop.

3. On the brake light switch, connect a 14 gauge wire to the now unused terminal and run it with the other wire to the vicinity of the turn signal switch. This is the brake wire that will be connected to the turn signal switch.

4. Run a wire from the turn signal switch to the left rear light. Cut the factory brake light wire at the left rear. Connect the new wire to the lamp wire you just cut. The harness end of the cut wire should be folded back and taped up.

5. Convert the sockets in the front park lights so they will accept dual filament bulbs like the brake/tail lamps. Connect the existing park lamp wires to the dim filament of the park/turn lights. Run two wires out from the turn signal switch; one to each of the front turn lamp bright filaments.

6. Now you should have five wires under the dash: RF, LF, LR, RR, and Stop. Connect these to the turn signal switch per the manufacturers instructions.

7. The turn signal switch will have one or two wires still unconnected. One will run to the L terminal of the flasher. The other wire if present is for the turn signal indicator in the switch; If you have a 3-prong flasher, this wire will connect to the "P" (pilot) terminal. If you have a 2-prong flasher, this wire will be left unconnected.

8. Connect the X terminal of the flasher through an inline fuse to the ignition switch or the accessory power panel on your firewall. If the turn signal switch has a hazard function, this should be full time power. If not, it should be wired to key-on power.

IMO this is the simplest way to do it right...assuming your harness is in good shape.

If you can find a good original Chevrolet accessory turn signal switch, you will get the added benefit of having the turn signals self-cancel. They have a wheel in them that rolls against the back of the steering wheel hub connected to a mechanism than makes them cancel just like a more modern car. They also have a fused power lead that will screw directly into your accessory power panel.

Hope this makes sense...

Last edited by Joe G; 06-22-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:03 AM

Arm signals

Tired of using your left arm on cold days?

Arm up-right turn; arm straight out-left turn; arm down- slow or stop. I saw a motorcyclist do that the other day and I thought it was rather amusing, especially since no one knew what he was doing. .

Most people nowdays think you are crazy or trying to give them the finger.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 AM

Last photo:

good post Joe!

even poor picture is worth a 1000 words?
(to better understand?)
this happens to be a Ford signal switch but how most any do operate is very similar...

the black scribal blob would be the turn signal lever...
the 4 red dots I added are the approx/rough postion of the 4 lamps electrical contacts buttons (the contacts are actually on the other half of the nylon "sandwich" assembly),,,left front/right front/left rear/right rear...
one of the 2 red power wires shown goes to each of the 2 bare stiff "paper clip" conductor wires

on the attached pic' one contact's bare conductor stiff wire takes care of the front signal lamps separately....
(lever down rotates the stiff wire and makes contact to the left front lamp button or lever up for right lamp)

the second rear brake lamps stiff contacts wire is shaped so when the lever is down the wire is no longer contacting the left brake button but is still contacting the right brake lamps button....
(center lever position the wire contacts both brakes lamps buttons)

the nylon kinda' elbow shape outter ears/extensions are what self cancels by rubbing against the eccentric on the steering wheel hub...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turn signal switch 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	46325  

Last edited by red65mustang; 06-23-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

JOE you hit the nail on the head! i'm not the wiring guru, but i do my best and when i was wiring up my blinker switch i combined both left front and left rear blinker wires together and rite front with left rear wires together. saying to myself why not save a step and just connect rite side with rite side and left with left, and my switch has a brake lite wire. i'm just a dumb ***!education is expensive!so i will get out the diagram and follow it per the diagram

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.