Should I use Blitz Black?

• yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 7 70.0%

Blitz Black part deaux

10K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Daddoo X 
#1 ·
Hello all, new member here and this is my first post. I was researching JDBB and stumbled across this site. There is a 29 page thread about Blitz Black that I read, and I've searced this site, but haven't seen the answer I was looking for so I'll ask for opinions here. Who has had BB on their car for a long enough to have an opinion of it's durability? Does it streak over time, or after washing? Would you do it again? Is it easy to fix if scratched? What should i do/not do application wise? Please please oh pretty please somebody chime in.

#3 ·
Thanks for the link Jon, but that's the one that got me here in the first place. I read that long thread, but I really didn't see where there was a real consensus. Some say good, some say bad. I was hoping to get a real world evaluation from someone who has done it and lived with it for a while, maybe what they would do differently, if anything. I will review that thread closer though.

#5 ·
cheap tractor paint belongs on tractors. i'd leave a car rusty before putting that junk on it.
it will look like **** in a shot time . you cant maintain it. and you can not put anything else over it.

#10 ·
OK, here's the deal. I'm working on my first build, an 81 El Camino with an 87 GN drivetrain. Although I'm 52, the stars have never aligned for me to try this until now. I started out wanting to do a low buck deal, then I got a case of the 'I might as wells". Suffice to say the interior is gutted, and the front clip is off, so now would be a good time to paint the jambs and the lower cowl area before my new interior pieces go in. I have zero painting experience, but first timers seem to have reasonable success with JDBB. While I have considerable expenses so far, I fully plan to drive it regularly and I don't want to worry about a scratch so I'm not really interested in a high dollar finish. I have no booth nor the knowledge to apply a urethane, but I don't want to spend $4000+ on professional paint that is sure to be scratched no matter how hard I try to avoid it. JDBB can be touched up with a rattlecan, or so I hear. I'm after the traditional primer look. I wanted to try paint myself, just because. I read an old thread from 2004 about it, but I couldn't get a feel for approval or not. I've read about hot rod flatz, however I'm not very confident in my abilities to lay down a bc/cc.

#11 ·
Shoot It

just plain john said:
OK, here's the deal. I'm working on my first build, an 81 El Camino with an 87 GN drivetrain. Although I'm 52, the stars have never aligned for me to try this until now. I started out wanting to do a low buck deal, then I got a case of the 'I might as wells". Suffice to say the interior is gutted, and the front clip is off, so now would be a good time to paint the jambs and the lower cowl area before my new interior pieces go in. I have zero painting experience, but first timers seem to have reasonable success with JDBB. While I have considerable expenses so far, I fully plan to drive it regularly and I don't want to worry about a scratch so I'm not really interested in a high dollar finish. I have no booth nor the knowledge to apply a urethane, but I don't want to spend $4000+ on professional paint that is sure to be scratched no matter how hard I try to avoid it. JDBB can be touched up with a rattlecan, or so I hear. I'm after the traditional primer look. I wanted to try paint myself, just because. I read an old thread from 2004 about it, but I couldn't get a feel for approval or not. I've read about hot rod flatz, however I'm not very confident in my abilities to lay down a bc/cc.
Anything is better than rust, Shoot It, Get some feel for a spray gun. Save $4,000 for stuff that makes it faster. When it gets crappy looking, sand it down and shoot it again. Thats Hotrodding! Ain't skeered, just do it! :thumbup: olnolan

#12 ·
Hey John. My first paint job was centari acrylic enamel without hardner It was very easy to apply and I painted it in my garage,It looked so good the guys at the body shop that I goferd for didnt believe I painted it myself so they had me paint one of their cars....Ive been painting professionally ever since ,its 35yrs later.Painting is not that hard I was a dumb 15yr old drop out so believe me you can do it,it the easiest part of a resto.with all the brands and types of paint its easy to get confused ,Thats normal....The actual spraying is pretty much the same ,the differences are the ingredients you mix in before you paint....repairing your work should be done with your gun so dont worry using a rattle can Theres a big difference plus you'll already have the gun so you wont want to use a can....I've helped quite a few guys do their first paint job and the one thing they ALL have in common is they over think and worry themselves to death.Thats also normal its just been so long ago I forget how I worried...You'll have a million questions before you start.if you want to PM me I can give you some members names to contact that had the same concerns.A few phone calls and I'll have you painting like a pro.with about 100.00 worth of paint and like I tell everyone else you'll have enough paint left over to redo the whole car so dont worry ,theres nothing to it....But you'll be much happier if you use a little better paint thats made just for cars....saving 50.00 is nothing compared to all the prep time it takes to do a nice job ....

#14 ·
Just a quick update.....I went to the local JD dealer and got a couple of rattle cans of BB and 1 of primer. I read in that post I mentioned thatyou could shoot it over existing paint with no primer, so I scuffed an old fender with a grey scotchbrite pad and wiprd it down with acetone. I sprayed it, waited 10 minutes and layed on a wet coat. Today, 5 days later, I tried running my thumbnail and it scratched (maybe marred is a better word) with moderate pressure. I was disappointed and am now reconsidering using it.

#15 ·
Rattle cans????? I didnt know you wereconcidering that...
You ready to do a real paint job now???
You can borrow my gun I was telling you about.
nothing lost.
Call your local paint store and ask how much a gallon of Centari acrylic enamel is(no hardner)
then ask about a gallon of Nason Ful-thane with hardner compare the price and choose which one you want to use.
The Ful-thane will last years longer you'll get about two yrs out of centari.before it fades.

#16 ·
:confused:

Heres the deal on Blitz Black aka Valspar Tractor and implement paint Low Gloss Black, it is what it is an affordable Alkyd Enamel paint that is easy to shoot and if you buy the hardener will last for several years.

Would I shoot it YES, have I, YES again first time was on a 66 Impala and just again today on an 82 Vette, yep thats right I painted a Vette with it and now the Vette crowd can cringe and cry foul, but heres the deal its the look I wanted, it was ultra cheap to do and it made a car that had a HORRIBLE paint job look very Sinister and very very sharp.

I will post pic's tommorrow as I have a few more hours until I can touch it and pull it out of the garage.

But heres the main deal on this type of paint

First your body work better be PERFECT, it will show EVERY ding and chip, scratch you missed

Second use the paint gun not the rattle can, that way you can use Naptha to thin it speeding up the drying time and you can add hardener which will make it more durable

But as you have seen everyone has their own opinion on Blitz Black, but heres the question ya got to ask yourself, how many of them that are sounding off on have actually sprayed a car with it :rolleyes:

And all that said, I spent $20 for 2 quarts, $7 for a can of Naptha and $12 for hardener and $30 for a good respirator/filter that I wore while spraying it and my Vette is now painted for a measly $75 after tax and thats Hotrodding as now I have more cash to drop on go fast goodies

#19 · (Edited)
Like I said earlier, opinions are vast, lots of people who have never used it have them, but they paint tractors with it for a reason if you use the hardener its a tough paint and stands up well and when it does need fixed its very cheap and easy to fix.

Heres a shot of the 82, it was sprayed with Valspar Tractor and implemment Low Gloss Black.

I used the same stuff on my 66 Impala about 5 years ago and it still looked the same last fall when I sold it.

The main thing to remember is USE THE HARDENER, it makes the paint more scratch resistant

#20 ·
RattVette said:
Like I said earlier, opinions are vast, lots of people who have never used it have them, but they paint tractors with it for a reason if you use the hardener its a tough paint and stands up well and when it does need fixed its very cheap and easy to fix.

Heres a shot of the 82, it was sprayed with Valspar Tractor and implemment Low Gloss Black.

I used the same stuff on my 66 Impala about 5 years ago and it still looked the same last fall when I sold it.

The main thing to remember is USE THE HARDENER, it makes the paint more scratch resistant

It's lot easier to make flat paint look nice when it's wet. Do you have any pictures of the car dry? Also, not trying to start a fight, but I think you'd really have to be a corvette fanatic to get upset about anyone doing anything to a 78-82 vette... Unless it's "Corvette Summer" ugly. That poor '73.

#21 ·
Valkyrie5.7 said:
It's lot easier to make flat paint look nice when it's wet. Do you have any pictures of the car dry? Also, not trying to start a fight, but I think you'd really have to be a corvette fanatic to get upset about anyone doing anything to a 78-82 vette... Unless it's "Corvette Summer" ugly. That poor '73.
Not yet its raining here and I jut finished the paint yesterday, also the paint is more of a satin the flat, but will throw up some pics when the rain passes,

#23 · (Edited)
There are pros and cons for almost any paint you can think of. When it comes to JDBB you'll usually find most professional painters will tell you not to use it. On many levels they're right. There are a lot of alternatives that will give you the same look but none of them are as inexpensive as JDBB.

I shot the frame of my deuce using Hot Rod Flatz satin black and although it turned out OK I wasn't happy with how it sprayed. When it came to the firewall I decided to experiment with JDBB. I figured that if I don't like it sanding it all off a firewall will be easier than a larger surface so it was a good canditate for a JDBB experiment.

All that said, I liked the way JDBB sprayed and it certainly was cheap enough. As far as color and sheen it matched the Hot Rod Flatz exactly. However, only time will tell if this experiment will work or if it was a mistake. At least then I'll be able to speak with experience when it comes to using JDBB.

Some things to think about....when considering using JDBB just understand that it is an enamel and not a urethane so even if you use the hardener it won't be as durable, but it will be less expensive. It will also require more work if you ever want to change it. Repainting something that is coated with JDBB WILL require you to sand the JDBB off first. There may be a sealer out there that will work over JDBB but I'm not aware of one that has been proven to be fool proof, so just be warned.

So basically its a trade-off. Cost vs. durability and ease of re-coating. I'm not recommending JDBB by any stretch of the imagination, just do your research so you can make an informed decision.

#24 ·
I appreciate the detailed response. Perhaps I should make my immediate situation more clear. My project 81 Elco is still wearing the factory metallac silver. While I have worked on it considerably, it is still a ways from fireing off. Having said that, I'm in the middle of an interior color change, and now would be the perfect time to spray the jambs, A pillars, and the area of the lower cowl. After researching JDBB, and reading these responses, I've decided to leave the colors as is for the time being and concentrate on getting the thing running and legal. I'll decide then what to do color wise, but I feel any pro painter would advise that it's easier to keep the original color. I had quite a bit of encouragement from deadbodyman to not be afraid to try, but at the end of the day I think I'll postpone a color change for the time being.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.