Block for blower motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 09:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Block for blower motor

I was scheeming(sp?) up some ideas and a blower motor came up and I would like to know how much a normal 4 bolt main 350 block can handle. Id like to make an 500-600 hp(something realistic) engine with great street manners. I was wondering if i could get away with running a 4 bolt block or if i would need to go with something radical like a world products block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 10:06 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:

A 4 bolt 350 block should be able to handle 500 HP without too much trouble, 600 would be pushing it, just make sure you buy strong rotating assembly components (all forged at least) and get quality bolts for the main caps. Upgrading to stronger caps may also be a good idea. Also have the block prepped well, ask your machine shop guy, provided he has experience. Aftermarket blocks are quite expensive, and for 500 HP they are not necessary. If you plan on exceeding 600 HP an aftermarket block would be a good idea.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

Yes, a factory casting would be fine for 500 and even 600HP. I had a ~500HP 385ci SBC wih a 2 bolt main and studs. The engine is still together after ~7 years (and lots of abuse).

With my blown engine I also went with a 2 bolt block and had it machined for splayed 4 bolt caps. This is actually stronger than a factory 4 bolt block. If you are starting from scratch that would be the way to go. If you are going to make over 600HP then an aftermarket block would be the way to go. If I had to do over again I would probably have went with an aftermarket block, I know I am pushing the limits of the factory block but, I already had a lot invested in it. I still worry everytime I hammer on it.

Royce
Old 11-29-2004, 08:58 AM

so you think i should go with a 2 bolt and have it machined for splayed 4 bolts? how much stronger would this be then a factory 4 bolt? also how much boost would i be able to run?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Yes, I would use a splayed 2 bolt block. The main webs are stronger. I can't tell you exactly how much stronger but, they are definetly stronger. The boost you will be able to run depends on your compression and the rest of your combo. The HP you make will be more of the determining factor. If you are going to make much over 550HP I would think about an aftermarket block. If you are making 600HP then I would definetly go for an aftermarket block. You have to figure out he rest of your combo and then figure out how much HP you will be making.

Royce
Old 11-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

From what I have read and seen in talking to people in the industry, the cylinder walls seem to be the weak link. A grout is recommended for anything over 500HP. Past 600 and everything is a ticking bomb with a factory block. It will last a while, but not forever.

Chris
Old 11-29-2004, 06:39 PM

I was thinking maybe i should build a 450-500 hp motor and spray a 100 shot so i wont be pushing so much power all the time. Does that sound like a better idea( that engine probably would be N/A)?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Even in a blown application you are not always making maximum HP. You only make boost when you open the throttle blades enough to feeb the blower enough air to compress. With centrif it works alittle different, but you can still drive around all day and not make maximun HP.

I think you would be much better off running a blower over nitrous if money is not a factor. Blowers are much easier on parts and the power is there whenever you want it. No bottle to refill or solenoids to stick.

If 500HP is the goal you really don't need a blower or nitrous to get there. Just depends on how rowdy of a car you want to drive on the street.

Royce

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.