Block Cracked - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Block Cracked

Okay so I have a 4 bolt 350 block that I had bored .030 over last year and built with 4 valve relief flat tops. The top end was a bunch of miss matched parts like a pair of demo car heads because thats all I could afford. After winter the block was POURING water into the oil so yesterday I ordered a 435hp Edelbrock topend kit from Lordco. Today I tore it down and found a HUGE 3"-4" crack in the block. It's on the lifter valley side, near the top edge of the #6 cylinder.

Now I'm frustrated and don't know what to do!?!

Can you weld it? JB weld it? If the block's an anchor I'm fine with that. I'll cut my losses and start again. I have about $2,000 to work with and many many options. I could bore another block and reuse the pistons. Would they fit in a 400 block or a 383 build? I could still purchase the topend kit and put it on a rebuilt but stock bottem end I have? I could buy a 350 crate engine? The intentions of the motor are to fit a shortbox 4x4 with a 700r4 and 39" tires. The truck is cursed! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Looks like its time to bite the bullet and find another block.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Yes you could weld it,,with a cast or stainless steel rod. But when you could purchace another 350 block for around $100 Why risk screwing up your new heads, and the other components of the engine. If you would have to have it welded it would be esxpensive, and if you have never welded cast before I wouldn't suggest trying it on your engine block. You have to let cast cool very slowly or it will become even more brittle. When I weld cast I pre heat, post heat , and cover in dry sand or cement. Also by being so close to the bore It would probalally distort it and need to be rebored to bring it back into round.
I have seen JB Weld used on the deck surface of a block before , It wound up leaking coolant into all cylinders.
Personally I would buy another block.

Shane
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Motor's Out

Okay, the motor's out now I just need to figure out which way is the best way of going about getting a new power plant
Old 05-19-2008, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

start over with a different block. the only time i would consider this type of repair, is a number matching deal. jb weld will hold the preasure of the cooling system, but the stability of the deck would be compromised. you could pin it, then deck it, but thats a lot of money.

sam-missle
Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Engine Build

Thanks for the insurance help so far, it reassures my thoughts. I got a good look at the block in the garage and the crack is brutal. It's probably beyond welding even if you wanted to. I know where there's a couple 4 bolt 350s I can take in to be bored and reuse the pistons. But other then that I don't know which way to go with this build. I could have the block notched for a 383? I'm pretty sure I want to run a stall this time. I'll probably have to go with some sort of cast heads to meet the budget. Any engine builders advise would be HUGELY appreciated right now. I'm trying to create some sort of small block torque monster with around $2,000 maybe a little more if I have to but it needs help with those tires so a stock 350 wont cut it for me.
Thanks to all!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I posted in the other thread you started but I will do the same here now that i have read the particulars.

I would say you could put together a very stout 383 or 400 short block for 2000 bucks. And probably and even stouter (is that a word?) 355 shortblock.

If you already have the top end then build yourself a real nice bottom end, you are going to need it if you are going to be making a lot of torque and putting heavy loads on the motor.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

I don't have a topend, only pistons. The Edelbrock kit would run me for all I have and I wouldn't be able to afford a bottom end.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I thought you said you ordered the top end kit from lordco. Did you cancel it or something?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

Well yeah, I didn't pay for it... it's only being transferred from another Lordco branch so it can stay in their vasinity

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.