Block filler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 12:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Block filler

I have a 400 SBC that didnt clean up at 40 over and my machine shop went ahead and bored it 60! I know that usually this is a no no with these siamesed blocks but he assured me that this was one of the thicker blocks and it would be ok for mild performance without NOS. (it wasn't sonic tested) My question is... would it stiffen the block and strengthen it if I gave it a partial block fill? Anybody out there put block filler in for street use?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Not anybody that was sane............................What if you end up plugging up where you don't want filled?

Won't help any strength wise anyways.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

filler

You can't add the filler after the machine work was done. Most of the times it will distort the bores. If the block was not sonic tested it's a crap shoot on how long it will last....... There are under cuts that run along the side of the bores on these blocks and some have been reported to be as thin as .100" I would search out a shop with a sonic tester and pay the $$$ and have it checked before i go any futher. If you decide to take a chance and run it the way it is " DO-NOT" let it detonate.....

What are your plans for this motor,compression,cam, heads, nitrous????

Keith
Old 04-08-2004, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

I have run block filler on a few street strip engines.As a matter of fact that is the only engines I have used it on.I have done a few half fills to save a block.With the half fill,the engine wont run much hotter then without the fill,or might not run hotter at all,but I would have liked to see the bores finsihed with the filler in place.I will usually plate hone the cylinders after filling on a block with non fresh bores.I only do this when I want to salvage a race block for a street project.I cant get a good 454 core around here for less then $600,and that is for a smoking pile of dung.I have scored a few 454's with cylinders blown out from thrown rods and such,and I will take one with otherwise decent bores,and fit it with a sleeve or two,then half fill it if it looks like the damage went into the water jackets.This works on any engine,but it mostly worth the effort with bigblock since the cores are so expensive.I scored a thick wall 454 4 bolt that was .060" over,zero decked and align honed with a hole in one cylinder fo $50,and I spent $125 on the sleeve,100 to rehone it,and $50 in filler and supplies and I had a $1000 engine block{including the value of the machining} for about $300.It is running in a daily driver street car right now and doesnt show any signs of problems.I filled that one with about a little under 2" of filler.It also helps to run an oil cooler.Good luck.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

One space between words.

Two spaces between sentences.

K
Old 04-08-2004, 10:52 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

my shop teacher has an inch of concrete in the bottom of his 383 because they got a lil happy when clearincing... no problems at all, think it would be fine go for it.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

If you decide to fill after the machining you need to use the cheapo cast iron rings. They will seat better and last longer than the moly rings. The filler will distort the bore when curing because the stuff expands. Hence the need for a cheapo ring which will seat faster and seal better due to their natural ability to compensate for roundness. If you were to use very stiff moly rings you would have a higher leak down percentages, possibly even ring flutter if all went wrong.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.