Hot Rod Forum banner

block prep.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hotrod389 
#1 ·
what all can i do to my stock 350 block to get it into perfect condition for my 383 build..? i have no experience in this.. but i would love to learn how to build a motor.. if anyone could give me some pointers on what to do and what not to do it would be much appreciated..

thanks
Brent

#3 ·
1, disassemble,magniflux, and measure! dont waste time on a cracked block or a overly bored engine.
2, remove all plugs expantion and threaded & hottank.
3, grind off and polish casting that can obstruct oil flow( esp. in the lifter valley area) and to deminish the possibality of hotspots
4, remove and label valves & springs.
5, remove excess casting in heads, same with intake and exhaust runners.
6, dont port unless you know how, and have a flow bench, but removing excess casting wont hurt.
7, clean everything throughly, bag and tag, and get your ***** to work so you can afford a set of slugs, bearings and the machine shop bill

besides the magnifluxing and hot tanking these are zero dollar things you can do while your waiting to build.

DO NOT TOUCH CRANK OR BEARING SPOTS,OR LIFTER BORES UNTIL YOU CONFIDE WITH A ENGINE BUILDER.

dont be dissapointed when your 383 does not make much power, afterall it is a chevrolet! :evil: :thumbup:

#4 ·
What Rod said is pretty much it. However, when you get your block ready to assemble, take a regular papel towel, spray WD40 on it, and wipe the bore. If you see gray on the towel the bore is not clean and is in fact inpregnated with hone grit. This is commonly overlooked by new builders. If the grit is left in it`ll quickly destroy the ring seal and the rest will fall into the oil and help itself destroying the bearings. There`s lots of products you can use to clean it but all I ever did was get a can of Seafoam and buy a new toilet brush to scrub the bores. Keep doing the paper towel test until you no longer see any gray on the towel.

#5 ·
assembling these engines is very easy

the machine shop will install the cam bearings for you and also put the new piston pins on the rods and pistons for you so all you have to do is install everything,
because pressing the pins in and installing the cam bearings requires a press, and bearing install tools, in which i dont have either of and most ppl dont either,
i just let the shop do that much and i assemble the engine from that point.
also after having them turn the crank etc to set it up for a size of rod and crank bearings.

good luck

#6 ·
fast68 said:
assembling these engines is very easy

the machine shop will install the cam bearings for you and also put the new piston pins on the rods and pistons for you so all you have to do is install everything,
because pressing the pins in and installing the cam bearings requires a press, and bearing install tools, in which i dont have either of and most ppl dont either,
i just let the shop do that much and i assemble the engine from that point.
also after having them turn the crank etc to set it up for a size of rod and crank bearings.

good luck
i thought i was cool, and tried installing cam bearings myself, barrowed the tool...AND I DID IT! ....
about 4 or 5 times before i took it to the machine shop and even then there was a problem with #1. so instead of spending 250 and a great deal of headache, i got it done for 75 dollars, cam bearings included.

no shame in havin the machine shop put those bad boys in ;)

i also tried pressing wrist pins! in my bench vice no less...

ok no fish storys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.