Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Blow By on a fresh rebuild. Possible ?? PLEASE HELP. Pics inside
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin7
UPDATE : got home and I tried the clear plastic tube suggestion... What I noticed was rather puzzling....Once I started the car, the clear hose went flat... Looks like the carb vacuum can't suck anything. When I popped the PCV valve off the cover, the little rattle inside the valve was stuck upwards. I guess from the suction. However If I put my finger tip on the PCV valve it quickly sucks my finger. So I know its sucking in the air. I guess the hose is just flimsy....I didn't see any oil going up the hose.

So now i tried the second suggestion of spraying carb spray into the valve cover hole for appx 15 seconds. The idle did not jump up either.

The valve covers do not have baffles. I can see straight down into the head....

All of this was tried under idle. I didn't drive the car around....

There is quite a bit of suction on the valve so having the plastic hose go flat is common. Maybe a stronger re-enforced hose would help, like the stuff that has the nylon webbing in it.

Traditionally, the booster goes on the rear of the carb base plate and the PCV goes on the front and then to the drivers side cover. It's not set in stone but that's how it's usually done.

If you don't have baffles, you need them! At idle, there won't be much, if any, oil getting sprayed into the PCV valve area. But wind it up a little and watch out! LOL Oil is going everywhere and the PCV valve is like a giant vacuum cleaner hose just waiting for anything to come along.

You really don't need to pull the header since you know that the PCV system is the conduit for the oil usage. You need to either add baffles or change to better covers. (can't beat stock!)

Mark