Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Blow By on a fresh rebuild. Possible ?? PLEASE HELP. Pics inside
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i've not read every post, but from the ones i have there has been a lot of good info posted on his smoking problem.

with liquid oil dripping out the tail pipe, once the problem is repaired with a good stock motor doing only short trips it can take a few hundred miles for the smoke to clear up. if the exhaust has been behind bad smoker for a long time & the oil in the exhaust is caked up, it can take a couple of thousand miles for it to clear out.
it takes heat to burn the oil out of the exhaust & you can't really make enough with short trips. take it out & drive for at least 50 miles non-stop & see what it looks like.
keep a close eye on the oil pressure & check the oil both before you start & at the end of the 50 miles.

for future reference i'll add that you can do a quick check for the intake gaskets leaking by pulling both the breather & PCV valve from the valve covers & then plugging the holes. start it up, you don't want to rev it, just let it idle, pull the dip stick and cover the dip stick hole with your finger & check for vacuum.
being inexperienced, you can use a vacuum gage hooked to the dip stick tube to check it.
i've seen some motors with no problems pull a little vacuum, IIRC the highest i remember seeing was around 2~3 inches or so. the main thing is if it continues to climb. with one intake port leaking on a motor with all the other seals & gaskets good, you can see the same amount of vacuum in the crankcase that you see from the intake, usually in less than a minute.