Blow By on a fresh rebuild. Possible ?? PLEASE HELP. Pics inside - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I use Kendal brand 10 20 or 30 weight in pro motors, to break them in on the "machine"..

Would not hurt to just keep same grade rate in regular engine with frequent filter/oil changes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 02:38 PM

Decisions decisions..... I'm gonna sleep on it and think hard of how I wanna approach this situation.

Man I would forever be in debt if a local member could come lend a hand. I haven't ran into many folks from the Dallas area on here. If one did surface you bet I would have some ice cold "roadpops" on hand as Jim put it.... In the meantime, i'm gonna check the compression on the remaining cylinders and make a few phone calls to some local shops. I'm also gonna give a shout to my buddies over at Sachse Rod Shop and see if they might be able to help...

How much should I expect to dish out for any extensive type of machine work if that worst case scenario were to happen? ie : piston rings, valve train work etc..... I'll be sure to break the news to my wife over dinner and a nice pair of shoes
Old 09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Just remember on the compression, it is most important for the cylinders to be within 10 percent of each other. The actual number being low or high compared to "normal" could be as simple as an inaccurate gauge.
I also think as someone else stated this has gotten a little off track. You know you have a baffle issue and we all know it can cause what you are seeing. The compression test is a good idea, but if it shows nothing conclusive. Fix the baffle issue as it is a known issue. Worst case get a set of stock GM covers and see if the issue goes away. Dont dig in any further until you have eliminated the known issue.

Chet
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Don't forget to put a little oil in each cylinder, and do a second compression test. This will tell you if you have a ring problem or not.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

It is no big deal to tear it down completely and rehone the block 100-150 then install new rings, bearings, gaskets...

Save the "shoe trick" for when you put a rod through the side of the block...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 PM
we build stock to kustoms

Last photo:

check your pvc also looks lke you have hydros i had them on one of my cars and i had blow by what was happening i was riding at weird angles and my pvc was getting stuck shut take your pvc out then go for ride with the car at stock level plus make sure you never start the car when the back end is down and front is up all your oil is away from the oil pump i found that out the hard way.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Fix the baffle issue as it is a known issue. Worst case get a set of stock GM covers and see if the issue goes away. Dont dig in any further until you have eliminated the known issue.

Chet

Very good advice..........again!!!

Don't make your life miserable unless you absolutely have to!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHD
It is no big deal to tear it down completely and rehone the block 100-150 then install new rings, bearings, gaskets...

Save the "shoe trick" for when you put a rod through the side of the block...
What do you meen "no big deal to..."? It may be "easy" for you and I, along with many members on this 'forum', but to someone who admits, and I quote Sin7, " somewhat mechanically inclined, and up for the challenge", this could have 'catastrophic' results. Aren't we all trying to help him 'fix' his problem? This could cause, 'moving expenses', child support payments, and on, and on and on. Catch my drift?

I suggest starting with the 'simple' well known "baffle", and a 'wet compression test', to see if it actually has a ring problem, or if it almost fixes it's self from the baffle.

I also have other questions on the 'build', after seeing the picture of the exhaust valve in #2 cylinder. 1. stock guide? 2. replacement cast iron guide? 3. replacement bronze guide? 4. stock guide, knurled & reamed?

My vote is for #4, since it was, and I quote Sin7 again "an older machinist, and purchased from his garage at his house". When I first started working on cars this was the 'normal' thing to do.

By the way, what does "shoe trick" meen? I've have never 'heard' that one before.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Sin7

Food for thought.....

Which seals do you want to use?

Yes the blue one is a positive seal the yellow one is an umbrella seal. They work differently. The positive seal requires the upper guide be machined to fit it. It clamps rather tightly and the portion that rides against the stem actually wipes the oil off. They are particularly good on the intake where the manifold vacuum is always trying to draw oil down the stem, which can lead to too much oil passing the stem and getting into the intake at the valve.

The umbrella seal isn't really a seal, it catches the oil flying off the valve train parts and diverts it away from the stem and guide area to reduce the opportunity for oil to be drawn down the stem and guide. The umbrella seal works better on the exhaust as there is pressure always trying to push oil out of the guide, since it admits more oil, it provides a greater quantity to the guide.

The O ring that GM uses is to stop oil draining off the retainer and locks from running down the stem into the guide, it is probably the least effective, but works pretty well when the stem to guide clearance is new and not so well as these parts age and wear.

Given all my druthers, I prefer to use a positive seal combined with bronze alloy guides as the bronze requires a lot less lubrication than cast iron against a hard chrome stem. But this is a personal preference not a 'have-to' because somebody says that's the way it is.

Bogie

Here's a post on v/c baffles:

High oil consumption with aftermarket valve covers

The above is definitely worth the read!

....and Bogie again shows you how in this post:

positive seals valve steam

Or you could look at the tips in this one:

1/2 smokin' 290 HP crate motor

There's a wealth of information contained in the search button at the top of the page, try it.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

"Shoe Trick" is when wifey poo comes home with the new pair of 40 dollar kicks that cost 1450..

A pair of shoes and handbag can and many times does cost many more than some of the total engine budgets posted here....Think Prada, Coach, etc.....

If a person is going to leave over an engine rebuild they are better off geting it over with now, anyway....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
What do you meen "no big deal to..."? It may be "easy" for you and I, along with many members on this 'forum', but to someone who admits, and I quote Sin7, " somewhat mechanically inclined, and up for the challenge", this could have 'catastrophic' results. Aren't we all trying to help him 'fix' his problem? This could cause, 'moving expenses', child support payments, and on, and on and on. Catch my drift?

I suggest starting with the 'simple' well known "baffle", and a 'wet compression test', to see if it actually has a ring problem, or if it almost fixes it's self from the baffle.

I also have other questions on the 'build', after seeing the picture of the exhaust valve in #2 cylinder. 1. stock guide? 2. replacement cast iron guide? 3. replacement bronze guide? 4. stock guide, knurled & reamed?

My vote is for #4, since it was, and I quote Sin7 again "an older machinist, and purchased from his garage at his house". When I first started working on cars this was the 'normal' thing to do.

By the way, what does "shoe trick" meen? I've have never 'heard' that one before.

I agree totally.

I have always believed that if I was given advice for a given problem, and the advise was from knowledgeable people with different points of view, I considered each set of solutions with my capabilities, resources and expectations in mind.

Sin7 seems like he wants to learn not only why his machinery is doing these unpleasant things, but he also want to learn how the discovery process works for himself through experience....We all got here because we are curious, and motivated to take the time to learn for ourselves.

If it was me, I'd just put a drool bucket under the exhaust pipe to catch the raw oil as it spewed out, then pour it back in the motor every so often, and run the thing till it wouldn't move.....J/K

What is the shoe trick?

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHD
"Shoe Trick" is when wifey poo comes home with the new pair of 40 dollar kicks that cost 1450..

A pair of shoes and handbag can and many times does cost many more than some of the total engine budgets posted here....Think Prada, Coach, etc.....

If a person is going to leave over an engine rebuild they are better off geting it over with now, anyway....
Thank you for that summation.

I don't feel, and I know from 'experience', the two don't mix. LOL Generally a person will 'not just leave', over something like this, it's just like 'kicking it into the next gear' (with new shoes).LOL
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

I know that was off track on this thread. I am sorry I could not resist.

I am ready to restart advising Sin7 now. I got over that diversion.

Last edited by carsavvycook; 09-23-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Back to 'advising'
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM

blowby??????

I noticed you said you just hooked up the vacuum line to the transmission. Have you checked the oil in the trans yet, a bad modulator will allow oil into the intake also.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
I agree totally.

I have always believed that if I was given advice for a given problem, and the advise was from knowledgeable people with different points of view, I considered each set of solutions with my capabilities, resources and expectations in mind.

Sin7 seems like he wants to learn not only why his machinery is doing these unpleasant things, but he also want to learn how the discovery process works for himself through experience....We all got here because we are curious, and motivated to take the time to learn for ourselves.

If it was me, I'd just put a drool bucket under the exhaust pipe to catch the raw oil as it spewed out, then pour it back in the motor every so often, and run the thing till it wouldn't move.....J/K

What is the shoe trick?

Later, mikey
They say, "That you have to learn something every day". I did today, but that will be a response to another thread someday.

Who said "You cannot teach an old dog new tricks".

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.