Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   Blowed a fuse... why? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/blowed-fuse-why-223448.html)

staleg 08-28-2012 04:35 AM

Blowed a fuse... why?

Tested the newly wired harness yesterday.
Before the test I checked for draw with the plus cable fastened on the battery and a test lamp between the minus battery pole and ground. No light.

Discovered that the headlight switch is broken. No park lights and no rear lights at all. Only the headlights works. Bench tested the switch to be sure
Have ordered a new switch.
When I tested the flasher signal, the fuse blowed after app 10-20 seconds.

Could that be because of the non functional headlight switch?
The car has the usual flasher/brake light/rear light in the same bulb.

cobalt327 08-28-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staleg (Post 1586509)
Tested the newly wired harness yesterday.
Before the test I checked for draw with the plus cable fastened on the battery and a test lamp between the minus battery pole and ground. No light.

Discovered that the headlight switch is broken. No park lights and no rear lights at all. Only the headlights works. Bench tested the switch to be sure
Have ordered a new switch.
When I tested the flasher signal, the fuse blowed after app 10-20 seconds.

Could that be because of the non functional headlight switch?
The car has the usual flasher/brake light/rear light in the same bulb.

Are you talking 4 way or turn signal? They use different flashers. Was the fuse rated high enough?

staleg 08-28-2012 07:04 AM

Turn signal.
The fuse was the original one from EZ wiring.

staleg 08-28-2012 08:01 AM

The fuse was 15 amp.

Irelands child 08-28-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staleg (Post 1586548)
The fuse was 15 amp.

If you are using Vintique brand lights, take a look at the Chinese made headlight bulb connectors as well as the taillight bulb sockets. I have had very poor luck with several and needed to replace with commercially available parts as they can be dead shorted - and of course blow fuses.

Dave W

staleg 08-28-2012 09:12 AM

Thanks for the input, but none of the working turn signal flashers are chinese. They are from the scrapyard, tow. If the trouble goes on. Ill try to disconnect one by one of them.

One more thing, by the way! One of the lamps is a LED lamp. and first I wasn't aware that ground and plus must not be mixed on LED lamps.
When the fuse blowed, I had this mixed up. I thought is was none working. Maybe this can create a small dead short tat after a while will blow the fuse?

toddalin 08-28-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staleg (Post 1586566)
When the fuse blowed, I had this mixed up. I thought is was none working. Maybe this can create a small dead short tat after a while will blow the fuse?

Most probably not unless one was defective.

staleg 08-29-2012 02:06 PM

No it wasn't. They both worked fine when I got the wiring correct.