blower blew head gasket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

blower blew head gasket

OK bought a b@m 144 blower was told would be alright to put on my engine and it would take it just fine well stupid me did......ran great the timing was off put the timing to 22 advance to 30 and I blew a head gasket out it looks like it started to eat my aluminum heads a little around the head gasket.....it's a 383,,,, pistons I can't seem to find info on so don't know the compression but they are L2403n -030 got pro comp head 195 64 cc....
the blower has a 6 inch bottom crank pulley and the top is 2.50 the thing is they said it was a 3.66 top pulley and never even checked the size tell now I had no boost gage on it only because the small town parts store don't have one....did I have way to much boost? or compression to much? can I put a new gasket on it and run it without the belt to limp me home for now with the timing at 22 or do I move it back to 34 like it didn't have the blower on it? it didn't blow the head gasket bad eather look like a tiny little hole in the 7 piston to the little water hole a 1/4 for the head gasket steel ring.....any info would help out allot I for one think I have to much boost with that upper pulley just thinking or hoping that is it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,156 Times in 955 Posts
Here's the piston. Although there is no info concerning the dish volume, I would call it maybe 12cc, so that your static compression ratio is around 10.3:1 with the 64cc heads. Did you not do any research at all before you bolted the blower on? You'll have to change pistons and heads to run any boost at all.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TR...NF30/?rtype=10
Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 AM

76 cc heads

i would love to know how you build your 350 engine ....but for now this my only engine i don't know how to do the math but what if i put my old cast 76 cc heads on it would my com

pression be low enough...that and change my top pulley out
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM

bandages on top of bandages?
Do everything correct or put the blower on the shelf for now.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Do you have E-85 in your area? If so that will be your only safe bet once you get the heads/head gaskets fixed. While you're at it, put a set of MLS head gaskets in there.

Your compression is too high for regular pump gas and the boost you were trying to make, as mentioned above you will have to slow the blower down so much, you might as well not have in on there for pump gas.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM

no e 85

nope no e 85 one of the biggest problem here is this is the first blower in this small small town and I have no one to talk to about them so it's all about reading books and resources on the internet.....but in might as well go buy a 350 block and start over.....
Old 05-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,156 Times in 955 Posts
And that's because if you're not paying attention, you can Brinell the aluminum head. What this means is that if you don't use a pre-flattened fire ring in your head gasket, such as the default Fel-Pro 1003, then the fire ring standing proud in whatever gasket you use can push the fire ring up into the soft aluminum and make a depressed ring in the material when the heads are torqued down. This is known as Brinelling of the aluminum.

Not to be confused with Fretting, which is the actual wear of one material on another material. We used to have a problem at Caterpillar with the cylinder liners fretting the head gasket.

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
And that's because if you're not paying attention, you can Brinell the aluminum head. What this means is that if you don't use a pre-flattened fire ring in your head gasket, such as the default Fel-Pro 1003, then the fire ring standing proud in whatever gasket you use can push the fire ring up into the soft aluminum and make a depressed ring in the material when the heads are torqued down. This is known as Brinelling of the aluminum.

Not to be confused with Fretting, which is the actual wear of one material on another material. We used to have a problem at Caterpillar with the cylinder liners fretting the head gasket.
hi f bird and tech . good info there . was also wondering what a good head gasket will be for my build ? had a felpro before but people talk of MLS ?

guardin 101 listen to these guys. great advise , and agree with all they say. low comp on a stock engine is fine. just keep det and knock away , timing at least 30d or more if it will take it . but a 350 is a great choice . my next build is a 350. may be a idea to you tube a home made water meth set up coming in off of a boost trigger sender from intake, would be a good intercooler . be carful with what you have, and if you have to use the set up then spent out on the best fuel ,
Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

cat problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post

The fretting of cat engines was not enough linner protrusion when engines built,especially higher hp 3406s,usually starts with #6,as it has poor water flow that end of the block,we experianced a very high failure rate as most engines in trucks wher high hp. in bc .The cause was not over boost or poor gaskets.cat uped the #of engines built pr day and allow tolerances to slip
gas engines ar far more prone to gasket failure when boost and comp to high
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM

"guardian101", makes me wonder how you came into that handle; 101 for Hwy 101, and guardian for LEO? Just curious. Have you been to/run at the West End Thunder Drags at the airport? Glad the FAA approved the drags for a few more years out there. I can't help you at all about the blower situation, but firebird88 seems to have a choke hold on it for you. Good luck with your project. There's a 144 setup on the Seattle area Craigs List at the moment; just the price alone caught my eye. Butch/junior stocker.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM

name

hi junior stocker the name some truck driver gave me year's ago,, I don't know who gave that to me when I ran a shovel....101 yes it's for hwy 101 I live in forks you been there I got the big shop north side of town and yes race the drag's all the time in forks this weekend coming up is the first race this year 6/15 and 16 one of the reason's I'm trying to get this car going by then,, to date it's running super strong a little carb issue so need a blower carb.....

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.