Hot Rod Forum banner

which blower hat to choose?

17K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  garyroushkolb 
#1 ·
ok so i've been looking at shotgun scoop,buzzard/bird/bug/krill catchers, 4 butterfly, hillborn stacks, the whole feathered duck really, it is going on a t bucket, my aim is to double blow it, but the hat, well its like a christmas tree you want the top look good to make the whole thing stand out from itself.
so if any of you all, have past experience in different hats, or have one of your own, tell me on any vehicle you have had them on, which performs better, looks the bomb, the whole how dya do. holla at i an i be listening, worrd.

#2 ·
R4MM said:
ok so i've been looking at shotgun scoop,buzzard/bird/bug/krill catchers, 4 butterfly, hillborn stacks, the whole feathered duck really, it is going on a t bucket, my aim is to double blow it, but the hat, well its like a christmas tree you want the top look good to make the whole thing stand out from itself.
so if any of you all, have past experience in different hats, or have one of your own, tell me on any vehicle you have had them on, which performs better, looks the bomb, the whole how dya do. holla at i an i be listening, worrd.
Carbs or Fuel injected?

I prefer the big Hilborn Scoop for Carbs. I'm running the Finned Bugcatcher on my Blown EFI SBC in a T-bucket.

#5 ·
you are all gems, i an i thank all your faces, bug catcher is a good looker, and double blown, yes that looks good, but i was thinking more along the lines of engine then blower on top, then another blower on top of tht then a hat. as for the engine size.

well i have a wide selection i can choose from, i am being offered a viper engine, but you cant put a hat on that can you? at least never seen one done,

so engines been offered and found are

330,375,392, 427, 505,

one is a ford 3 are dodge hemis, and the 505 is the viper, not too sure if the viper can be blown with a hat, let alone dual blown.

Dixie

#7 ·
If you run the V10...its gotta have hilborn stacks and efi. God that would look amazing.

Regarding the dbl blower; I like the hllborn scoops with a screen for visual appeal.

Turbo into blower would be pretty killer, but you might not be able to see over it; although Dobbertin managed it with his J2000

Beautiful ideas so far. Any renderings or photos?

#9 ·
ah cobalt you amuse my face" where you hail from" not sure what that means but amusing it is, renderings photos, not yet, still getting things together so im not throwing money at the wall, also a cleveland engine is now a new option, found a excellent condition on on a rear collision it's right off but front is un touched thus engine is in excellent working order, 392 is a decent engine ive heard it run clean engine, the viper was on a hoist, im still looking in to weather the viper engine can be blown as it is a unique engine layout, if it can be ill dual blow it, if not 392 is another catchy fella, just got some hoosier 33x21.5rl5lt 107 h radius tyres for the rear, this morning, 375 has been bought, by someone else as his kid joy rode his car and blew it. so tht is slimmed down my pickings, making my decisions 1 less engine easier. like all of your feed backs too, making things the slide smooth like fruit.

#13 ·
ok found one place that makes a custom blowers for everything automotive, now it's the only place ive found where for a viper engine "blower" doesnt consist of ram air filter looking ma jingo, instead they actually build a blower (in my eyes stackable) and a hat to go on top, with my cherry bomb extreme, and glass packs either truck stacks from 78/79 lil red express, or zoomies like mad max, or straight zoomies like well hot rods do, ide have 505+ cubic inch dual blown, death on wheels,

any of y'all want in here is the sweet sweet kentucky fried mouse.

http://hamptonblowers.com/

#16 ·
Have you checked the prices in blower EFIs? Unless your budget is unlimited it would maybe better to start with carbs. I'm a dealer for a couple on the manufactures of EFIs and the price is not for sissies. As far as double blowers why not consider a "loose" and under-driven 14-71 for your motor.
The Hoosier tires will be an "adventure" if you get the horsepower that I think you'll have. By car gets them loose in 3rd before you get to the secondaries. I believe that you can put a blower on anything if you have the right builder working with you.

Attachments

#17 ·
If I was even considering double blown it would be a side by side (which i wouldn't consider).I damn sure wouldn't want them stacked for 1 stupid looking. 2 you would be running the bottom blower waiting on fuel from the top. 1 blower beats the air fuel charge enough via heat, much less sending it thru a second blower running dry(more heat). I'm sure you could ( I mean someone could) plumb in fuel on the bottom blower somehow, I think it would be a nitemare . but again I think this was a pipedream anyway

#19 ·
I can see all sorts of issues with double blowers stacked. Beyond the fact it would be insanely tall, there's belts to drive both and heat from one blower being introduced into the 2nd blower and building up even higher temps.
I'd also be concerned with head gaskets holding the amount of compression such a system can build, unless you under drive it so far that it is just for looks.
Sorry, but it just sounds a bit nutty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.