Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - blower idle rpm problem
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownalkybbc
good advice from everyone so far, one thing you have got to do is get some fire in that motor, an old points distibutor is not going to do it, at the very least get an HEI with a 50,000 volt coil or better yet set up a crank trigger system with an msd box and coil, the best thing would be a mag system, of course we can only guess with out being there but for sure with the irregular idle either the fuel or the fire isn't consistant, i have messed with blowers for a lot of years and the best fuel system for either street or strip is the enderle injected systems, good luck

The points distributor is probably not causing the regular surging problem.

The interesting thing about ignition systems is that if there is enough juice to fire the spark plugs, then that is all the coil will put out. Since yours fires well above 2000 rpm when the boost is increasing, it is OK voltage wise. That does not mean there might not be a timing problem or an errant spark causing a misfire or backfire.

But do upgrade to an aftermarket distributor when you can. I don't think that any HEI will clear the blower. I would avoid magnetos. When you upgrade ignition systems, do it as A SYSTEM... get all the components including plug wires from the same manufacturer. I would go MSD.