Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   blower motor converter (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/blower-motor-converter-224748.html)

Michaelelcano 10-07-2012 04:52 AM

blower motor converter

On this forum I have found tons of information about torque converters and tons of information about blower motors but im having a hard time finding information about a torque converter for a blower motor. So what do you guys think. I have a 56 f100 that will be used for 95% street use. It will have either a th350 or th400 transmission and a small block chevy( yes I know heresy if your a ford guy and the only thing of value if your a chevy guy) with a 6-71 running between 5 and 8 pounds of boost and basic cam and heads. Alos if it helps it has a corvette rear suspension in it with fairly tall gearing.

T-bucket23 10-07-2012 10:27 AM

Basic rule is the converter should "stall" when the engine is at the start of its power band. Your best bet would be to call a good converter company, give them all your specs and see what they recommend. There are a ton of variables and they all matter.

vinniekq2 10-07-2012 09:42 PM

what bucket said and make sure its welded inside and not just a stock rebuild.you converter needs to be very heavy duty if you make any power

327NUT 10-09-2012 12:19 AM

I'm using Mike Ridings who owns "Vortex Converters" in Michigan. He is highly recommended by the guys on the Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle websites. He's going to build an 11" Trailblazer converter for me that stalls around 26-2800 rpm for my 507" Cadillac/ '32 Ford. Not a race conveter just a very well bulit unit......and a very good price. He's also a certified welder and tigs all fins before he puts the halfs back together. Give him a call....usually after 6 PM and have as much info as possible on your setup. Tell him Dave with the big Cad sent you:D (586) 255-3426

bentwings 10-09-2012 02:19 AM

If you have any kind of cam you will need about a "3000 rpm" converter to be streetable even with the blower. remember the blower isn't doing anything except mix the air fuel at idle and not much more just cruising. You can have very high vac at cruise.

Now, just asking for a 3000 converter will get you something rated for NA motors, and relatively inexpensive. However a 6-71 sbc will make huge torque at 2000 rpm and even lower so this converter will "flash" or stall much higher. This is why the guys are recommending high performance and well built units. The lower priced ones will eventually fail due to over loading.

I have a 3000 NA converter that flashes to 4000 plus without trying very hard. Needless to say I don't abuse it very often. Nothing like having a major problem 50 miles into nowhere back roads when out crusing with the guys. Even with AAA and extended coverage it still is an all day experience getting towed home.

My car is very light at 2800 lbs rolling so the drive line isn't loaded like your truck will be.

Get a good one....a failed converter will probably take the trans with it.

This rating works very well on the street and is very comfortable to drive. Even crusing at highway speeds it does not slip much. I use a medium sized trans cooler and seldom see temps over 150-180.