Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Blower Motor Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blower Motor Questions

Hey guys,

Hope this is in the right section. I recently picked myself up a little project 67 pro street Camaro with a 355 and a 6-71 BDS on it. Was an old drag car that a guy bought to try and convert to street, he got so far and got financially strapped so sold it to me.

In my younger days I built myself several street cars and off road trucks within the budget I could afford back then. So I have turned wrenches before its just been about 20 years so rusty but willing to learn.

The guy I got if from knew nothing about the build but so far here's what I have been able to figure out.

Twin holley 650's on it, Victor Jr heads, ARP studs, comp blower cam and push rods, Jegs roller rockers, screw in guide plates and stud girdles. Was being overdriven 10% but plan on swapping pulleys and under driving it 10% under when I put it back together.

So after getting the car and trying to diagnose an overheating issue, (blew the bottom radiator hose off) I did a block check test and determined there were exhaust fumes in the coolant. No water in the oil however.

Did some reading and determined usual suspects were head gaskets, or cracked head or block especially with a blower motor. I went on into the tear down process. Just finished up a little while ago and have some questions.

First I could not find any obvious signs of a blown head gasket or any cracks I could see with my eyes. I did determine that the car was built with the block O-ringed and was running copper head gaskets, which gave me some relief as I had read where somewhere that copper headgaskets are suspect when it came to coolant sealing especially on a blown motor. One strange note is that the drivers head gasket mic'ed out at .0042 and the passenger was a .0032. I'm assuming that means that the drivers head was milled .0010 at some point? is that common place to run different gaskets instead of just milling both heads to match? Or possibly just got a mis-matched set of gaskets?

My main question until I get the heads checked by the machine shop is what is the best type of head gasket for a street driven blower motor? I searched on google and it seems a lot of people favor the MLS gaskets or the Fel Pros with the metal ring in it. Does the fact that the block is O-ringed dictate what type of gasket I have to use?

Also if the heads are milled different should I have them milled the same? or just get different head gaskets again?

This is my first blower motor and I only want to do this one time so any advice is appreciated.