Blower pistons - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blower pistons

Im getting ready to buy myself my xmas gift, im getting my pistons for my 671 blower build.
i have been reading is my street supercharging book that stated that when you have forged aluminum pistons they require more clearence because of the diferent expanding rates of the block and pistons.
the questions i pose is i have a 350 bored 40 over, and i plan on gettin 64cc aluminum heads from white performance, and i need help with pistons selection.
i want to achieve a low compression ratio something on the lower end of 8 to 1 and i dont really know about what to order keeping in mind that i need extra clearence from the aluminum pistons and i have a 40 overbore.
i really like summit racing because of the amazing customer service i have had with their tech department so i have pretty much been looking exclusivly with them.
does anyone have pistons with a good dish they have had alot of luck with?
THanks alot
Marc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

Marc,
If your block is good at .040 over, then you just need to order pistons for an .040 over nore. The clearance is built into the piston. What I mean is a cast .040 piston will be slighlty larger in diameter than a forged .040 piston.

As far as piston brands and types go, much of it is personal choice. Do you already have the 64cc heads? If so you have to work around them. If not it might be easier to use 72cc heads. Since it is a 350 there are pistons out there that will work fine with 64cc heads. That can be a problem with large cube engines.

Depending on the boost level and use of the engine/car that will determine if you need a dedicated blower piston. It is a good idea in either case. Check with SRP, J&E, Probe, I think you can get SRP through Summit. I will do a little looking for you and come up with a SRP part number to get your compression where you want/need it (8.5:1 or lower).
Old 12-14-2006, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

SRP Piston Compression Ratio
P/N ci bore stroke rod 58cc 64cc 70cc dish oversize
139633 357 4.040 3.480 5.700 9.0 8.5 8.0 -24cc 0.040

Fits 3.480 and 3.500 stroke. The pistons weigh 503 grams

These pistons will work fine for you, they are excellent quality as well. I would shop around to see who has the best deal. Check with Doug Herbert Racing, they have some good sales sometimes.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 AM
T buckets rule

I just built a blown 350 chevy. I did not come across any forged blower pistons in .040" over. I have this motor built but do not have running. I also bought the heads from Whites. I took the heads completely apart and checked them all out. I found they were just perfect. All the valeves lapped in fine and all the spring heights were correct.
If it was me I would find another block, because I don't think you will find an inexpensive blower piston .040" over. I am sure that Venolia or Aris will be happy to make a set for you. But finding TRW, Speedpro won't happen.

Are you going to run a double key on the crank snout? Every one I talked to reccomended it. I bought the Eagle forged crank with a double key and a BDS blower hub for mine to be safe.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

RPMs,
Wait a second. I just listed a .040 blower piston, I'm not sure why you couldn't find one. There are plenty of them out there. My blown engine is .060 over.

Here is a direct link to SRP blower pistons for an .040 350 http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku Only $530

Double keyway is another point that can't be agreed on in many cases. If you have a big block snout then go for it. Personally I went with an extended single heyway and a crank hub.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM
T buckets rule

Those pistons will work, but I thought of those as expensive pistons. I bought some TRW-Cleveites forged for about $320 for the set.

On the double key thing I talked to several who had a single key fail and it ruined the crank. With what I saved on the pistons, I spent on a better crank and hub.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

There are two ways to look at it. There is nothing wrong with a double keyway, the issue is you are taking more material from an already small snout. When I say I use a single keyway, I don't mean a stock key way. I had the snout cut to accept one long key, this kept the loss of material to a minimum. Both ways will get the job done. Running a hub eliminates much of the stress anyway. Do you remember how much your TRW's weigh? While $520 isn't cheap, it is not expensive when it comes to an excellent quality piston. I don't remember what I paid for my Wisecos but, I know it was more than $320
Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

another question i was thinking about is i am getting a crank and if i need a new crank would it be beneficial to get one with a 3.750 in. stroke and have my block made with extra clearence?,
just a thought i had in my head
let me know what you think
Old 12-14-2006, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

and is forged aluminum really the only way to go? is there seriouse drawback to cast aluminum?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Keith Black Hypereutectic Pistons: these have 28+ cc http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

I would stick with forged. Even though they are heavier than cast they arent brittle like cast and hyper. But I guess it depends on what kind of boost you will be pushing in. I would go forged for insurance. Im sure some will agree/disagree with this statement though.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:22 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRattle
I would stick with forged. Even though they are heavier than cast they arent brittle like cast and hyper. But I guess it depends on what kind of boost you will be pushing in. I would go forged for insurance. Im sure some will agree/disagree with this statement though.
Most performance forged pistons are much lighter that cast or hyper pistons.

tom
Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you are building it and dont have the pistons yet it is crazy not to get forged.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
big Q

Last photo:

kb pistons

keith black -22 dish piston 230 for set
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2006, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Forged pistons are a MUST for a blown engine. If you plan to make any decent power with it don't even think about non-forged pistons. If you detonate it one time without forged pistons the motor will be history. For street rods and VERY mild blown engines you can get away with less than forged pistons. I am talking about 4lbs of boost and less. It's not worth saving $200 and having a time bomb for an engine. How much will you save if/when the cast or hyper pistons shatter?

As far as going with a longer stroke (building a 383), yes it is worth it but, only if you don't have 64cc heads. If you already have the heads you will have problems finding a deep enough dish to get the compression down with teh added stroke. I had to open up my 72cc heads to 75cc's to get my compression down with a 3.75" stroke. I was working with 6" rods, if I had 5.7" rods I could have gotten by with 72cc's.

You have been reading up on blown engines. Go back and see what they say about forged pistons.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.