Hot Rod Forum banner

Blower pulleys configuration?

17K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  NOlowrider 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
I have a 78 vette with a basic stock/cast 350. Recently I obtained a weiand 6-71 blower w/ 2-600 holleys. My question is can I run this blower underdriven at just 5-7 lbs? My mechanic is a forced induction freak. He assures me that i'll be ok with running the blower on my current engine as long as i dont get "foolish" with it. So my question to you all is what blower pulleys do I need to run to reach my target boost of 5-7lbs?
The blower came with a 39-cog upper pulley and a 31-cog lower. The person I purchased this from advised me that pulley configuration is what Im looking for, just need some confirmation from you guys first please.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Welcome to the board.:thumbup:

Here are Weiands' tech sheets, these blowers come underdriven to make 5 to 7 pounds. You have the older style it looks like, 1/2" pitch pulleys vs. the 8 mm. I think your one pulley must be 32 not 31, unless it's not a Weiand part.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
If your pulley's are 1/2" pitch (square cog pattern) with a 39 upper and a 31 lower you will be at roughly 20% underdriven. I don't think you will make your target boost with a 20% under drive. If you swap them to 39 lower and 31 upper you will be at roughly 25% overdriven, which I don't think is a good idea on a bascially stock engine. Most people run a 10% underdrive which would be a 34 lower and a 38 upper. I would shoot for that combo to get your target boost. The pic below is a 8mm pulley.

1/2" pitch
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/pitchpulley.pdf

8mm
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/8mm.pdf

#5 ·
Where can I find a 31-32 pulley with a triple groove?
You are not going to find a blower pulley with any grooves for the accessories. (water pump. alternator, PS pump, etc). This is where the tricky part comes in. If you want a three groovelower acc pulley you have to offset that extra distance with a longer blower snout. Meaning, if you have 3 grooves on the lower acc pulley then the blower snout will have to be longer than the snout for 1 or 2 groove lower acc pulley. Hope I didn't confuse you. You basically have to set the blower on the engine, hang the blower belt on the blower upper pulley and see how far it is from the harmonic balancer.

Kinda like this below.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
I was able to run two groove pulleys on a short WP and crank, behind the lower blower pulley on an 8-71 Weiand, SBC. I used ZOOPS adjustable brackets for the alt and power steering. The alt bracket is actually a high mount ZOOPS turned upside down and clearanced for the valve cover front. my configuration is wp/alt/crank and wp/ps/crank.

The outside V-Belt is pretty close to the blower belt, about 1/4 inch, but does clear. The pictures here are hard to identify, and I have the motor apart right now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.