Blowers, thermastats n engine break in?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 08:32 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blowers, thermastats n engine break in??

Howdy all.
Im getting ready to put my thermastat in the blown sbc. What temp should I use? My friend has a blower motor and he took the guts outta his?

Also, When I go to start her up the first time. Should I do it without the blower belt to make sure everythings cool first?

Also, What type plug should I run? What cold plug I should add. I think I'll make good boost, so I want something cold. Tnx HG

Advertisement

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 09:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HG,
You won't make any boost on start up or while sitting still. You will only see boost when you have the throttle blades open a bit and there is a load on the car. You will only see full boost at WOT.

If your timing is close and eveything else it right, there is no danger in starting it with the blower belt on. Even if your timing is off it's not going ot hurt anything. If you see your headers glowing red, that means your timing is retarded. You will probably need to run about 18 - 20* initial to keep it happy and cool. I am not sure what you are running for a distibutor but, you may have to have it re-curved to get the correct timing curve 18 - 20* initial but, you also only want a total of 32 -34* (may vary a bit but, you will probably be in that range).

As far as thermostats, I run a 180* and I like to run fast acting/high flow stats (Robert Shaw, Moroso, Milidon, Mr. Gasket, etc..) they are all the same. The Robert Shaw has a couple holes drilled in it, that's the only difference. They are the goldish/brass colored thermostats.

Spark plug heat range will depend. Since this is a fresjh engine and you don;t have a baseline on it or a previous plug to compare to, I would start one heat range colder than "stock". I don't know what the thread depth or seat on those heads are so, I can't recommend a specific plug. Even if you miss on the plugs you will be fine for break in (there won't be any boost).

Make sure you use a bottle of EOS (Engine Oil Suppliment), you can get it at your local GM dealer. I would also run Valvoline "Racing" oil, Shell Rotella, or some other oil with ash in it (most diesel oils). This will really help your cam live through break in. You can also add a little extra oil to increase the splash/sling, just be sure to change it and fill to the correct level after break in.

Edit: You may want to use a set of stock manifolds for bread in or an old set of headers. Your timing will most likely be retarded and I would hate to see you ruin your new header coating.
Royce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.