Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Blown bbc too much crankace pressure
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnaiello View Post
I have a 454 HO crate motor, fresh rebuild chrome moly rings with 24 thousand ring gap,10/71 with (2) HP 4150 carbs, comp cam blower cam, solid roller lifters, roller rocker, I have moroso evac system from the breathers run down into the headers. I am pushing my dip stick out and pushing oil. when I put my foot in it it will blow the breathers out of the valve covers. Compression is 95lbs per cylinder. cam is a custom blower cam 650 lift not sure duration don't have spec sheet now, 114 separation. 400 turbo, 456 gear. I am stumped I don't want to run it and break any rings or worse. I NEED HELP Why all the pressure. Engine runs great doesn't smoke was broken in properly, plugs look OK still a little lean with 90 jets in back and 86 in front.

Thanks John
Are you positive you have "chrome moly" rings and not moly inlay or plasma moly rings or some other type of ring material?

In any event, upside down second rings will pump the crankcase nice and full of pressure.