Hot Rod Forum banner

Blown Chevy 292 inline six

16K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  turbolover 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about this?

I'm building a 400HP/400Ft.Lbs. 292 inline six with around 10 pounds of boost.
Just wondering what you guys think of my setup and how you think it'll work. It's going into a '49 chevy pickup on a '94 S-10 frame with a NV3500 5 speed.It'll be a street truck with the occasional race with the rice rockets w/ souped up 4bangers.

It'll have: a homemade intake, lump ports, 1.94I/1.60E valves, homemade 1.75" headers, Ross pistons, MSD Boost Master ignition, Holley 850 cfm vac. 2nd's, and a 6-71 blower with a water/methanol injection kit from Snow Performance.
Here's my cam specs:
lift@1.7:i).500"E).510"
Adv.duration:i)272*E)280*
Cam Lift:i)294"E)300"
lobe center:115*
Duration@.050:i)224"E)230"

What do you guys think? Changes? Comments? Concerns? Questions? Something I missed? :confused:

#6 ·
Rods look good. These engines are 2 bolt mains right? Is it possible that you could put 4 bolt splayed caps on? Can you find a forged crank anywhere? Seems kind of pointless to upgrade the rods and have a weak crank. I personally don't like having any stock parts in a forced induction engine. JMO

#8 ·
they're 2 bolt mains, IDK about the splayed caps, but I know the crank is tough, Leo Santucci is putting over 1000 horse on one and so far it hasn't broke, bent, twisted, or deformed in any way... yet, so putting less than half the stress he is putting on his on mine? should be fine.
While I'm in the light, who should I get bearings and gaskets from? I don't want any cheapo stuff in this, it's gonna be built to last. no short cuts, This will pan out to be around a $3500 build...

#11 ·
I would trade that blower in and get a more modern one that is a better match for your goals, or even turbocharge it. :D Those 6-71 blowers are terribly inefficient. For a 500hp engine a single 20G turbo with a 10cm housing would work much better and give you minimal lag.

#12 ·
turbos are cool, but you just can't beat having a big ol' blower under the hood. Especially with an inline six!
They may be inefficient, but if I get 400 ft.lbs out of a 292 who cares!

I may make a high compression N/A motor first with around 300HP, then, when that wears out go with forced induction of some kind.

#13 ·
QParker said:
turbos are cool, but you just can't beat having a big ol' blower under the hood. Especially with an inline six!
They may be inefficient, but if I get 400 ft.lbs out of a 292 who cares!

I may make a high compression N/A motor first with around 300HP, then, when that wears out go with forced induction of some kind.

A lot of people love the look of those blowers, especially when they're all shined up. I'm more into performance, but each has its following- shine for the shows and performance for racing.

You should fab up a nice 3-2-1 header system with a large side exit, that would complement the look very well.

#14 ·
I've got a 496 bigblock pushing 800 horse for my performance engine, it looks like crap, but it's really funny to idle up to a little ricer and scare them when the rev up the little 4 banger and I rev up something with more than 3 times the displacement and twice the cylinders.

but back on topic, I want to have a nice looking truck that can still haul *****, and 400 foot pounds of torque will do just that!

#15 ·
Some of those "ricer" engines are nothing to sneeze at. Other than displacement they are usually superior to the SBC in about every way. And when you have them running 25psi they can really surprise you.

I've done a few smaller enignes and they can actually be a lot of fun.

BTW with 292ci and 10psi I would be hoping for more than 400ftlb. That's a fairly stockish tq level. I think 500ftlb should be doable for ya! :thumbup:

#16 ·
400 ft/lb ain't stockish- for a 292 inline!

The problem I see w/building a 300 HP NA engine then turning it into a blown engine, is the cam and pistons will automatically have to be replaced. If you're gonna do a blown engine, I would do it w/o any NA stops along the way.

The inline 7 main bearing engine is stout, no doubt. But I would line up a couple cores, just the same. :mwink:

#17 ·
cobalt327 said:
400 ft/lb ain't stockish- for a 292 inline!

The problem I see w/building a 300 HP NA engine then turning it into a blown engine, is the cam and pistons will automatically have to be replaced. If you're gonna do a blown engine, I would do it w/o any NA stops along the way.

The inline 7 main bearing engine is stout, no doubt. But I would line up a couple cores, just the same. :mwink:

Not stockish for that engine but for that vehicle type.

#18 ·
oh, I've seen the ricers, and that's why I want to beat em! My buddy has an eagle talon, completely stock, other than it going up to 15#'s and that thing really surprised me. I was looking at the turbo and thinking it belonged on my snowmachine while he was burning rubber on all 4 tires (AWD) with a little 4 banger...

#20 ·
QParker said:
400 foot pounds of torque is stockish for a 1949 chevy pickup that came with a 216 I6 with 95HP from the factory? :confused: :confused:
I think you got your engines/years mixed up a little there...

Its stock for a relatively modern truck- which is what I would use to compare it to since that is what you'll be cruising next to on the roads. Go jump in one of your buddies stock trucks and go for a spin, that is about the power you would be feeling with a 400ftlb 292- I would consider that a stockish power level.

#26 ·
QParker said:
I guess, Do you think I should run 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression? I don't want to go above 15#'s it'll probally stay under 10...
8:1, could go even lower depending on the cam. 10psi with a 6-71 is not the same as 10psi with other forms of forced induction, there is a LOT of heat gain and no intercooling.

Intercooling would be the next thing to consider, especially in this case. Getting your temps down and your density up can really make a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.