Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Blown Engine Build Help
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Blown Engine Build Help

hello everyone,
I was hoping to gain some insight if I could. I've never built a blown engine but understand the concepts needed to achieve it. Or so I think.... anyways my original plan was to build a 540 engine with a 8-71 and go the efi route with the bugcatcher scoop that hilborn injection or bds provide.But the more i research that you can't have any form of an air filter in these hats is discouraging. Now Im hoping someone can tell me that there is some sort of filter that will go inside as I won't be putting the external filter on. Just a personal preference on looks.
So I got looking into these streetcatcher scoops that are quite sharp looking i'll have to say regardless it is a phony looking fi setup, but like I said Im aiming for a look. But then the problem comes that you can only use a single 4150 style carb and the largest holley I can see boost referenced is a 950cfm and Im most certain that just won't do for that size of engine. I would rather build a smaller engine9but still a big block) vs going to a dual carb setup but also want a good number when it goes on the dyno.

So long story short
Is there a way to have a filter inside the hat on a efi setup?
What size of motor can I run a single carb on with a 8-71 blower?
Also is there any other options/opinions?

Thanks for your time, Matt