Blown head gasket? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Blown head gasket?

I have a chevy 350 that was just rebuilt.It was only broke in a month and a half ago.And is already having trouble.
1.When the engine is warmed up White smoke shots out of only one tailpipe( the drivers side)No smoke when first started,just when warm.
2.The rockers keep going out of adjustment.This is the 6th time I've adjusted them.
3.The oil looks like chocolate milk,This makes it hard to get an accurate reading off the dipstick.
4.The engine vacuum on this cam originally had 20" at 1000rpm,now it will pull only 17.5".
5.When you rev the motor in gear,It goes up then drops to 400rpm,for a second.Then studders and goes back up to 750rpm.
This is a 350 9.3:1,TH400 trans(Stock converter),Camel bump heads,1.52 roller rockers,Comp cam 212/218 dur.@ .050.Rpm intake,and 1406 edelbrock carb(600cfm)
Im thinking it's a blown head gasket.And im not sure but I might be losing a cam lobe,or two.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sounds like some serious problems. Probably a full tear down is in order if you think it's loosing a cam lobe. Bummer.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 PM

the only way water can get into the combustion chamber is a cracked block, blown head gasket, or cracked head
Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 PM

I bought the short block from the machine shop.And the heads came from the same machine shop,They put way to much spring in those heads.My cam is only a .447/.454 lift and they put .600 lift springs in them.The head gasket is a fel pro.Not a permatorque,but the kind that comes in the gasket kit.
oh yeah and the pipe that has white smoke coming out of it.Also has water coming out of it.The other pipe does'nt have smoke or water coming out.Plus the other side has'nt gave me any trouble with rockers coming loose.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Hopefully you didn't enough liquid in the cylinder to bent a rod.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Im not sure.I havent been running this motor very often Since all this started.Because im scared it's going to lock up on me.
What else should I check to diagnose what the problem is?Also do you think the springs being too big might have something to do with the rockers getting loose so often?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:26 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

I think your valve adj. prob is in your lifters. I have no idea what kind you used but some of the chinese/cheap lifters bleed down really fast. You keep adjusting and that temporarily fixes it. Then the ticking comes back. you may have chewed up a lobe if you broke it in with those stiff springs.

Chocolate milk oil sounds like water. I would really look for a cracked head, but could possibly be a gasket. Most of the oil in the upper end comes from the pushrods. Pull your plugs and see if there wet or oil fouled.

Does your car have true duals? at least youll know what side the prob is coming from

If it were me, I'd pull the manifold off to see whats up.

Last edited by DaSouthWon; 12-14-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 PM

I still have the original dual exaust on this truck(Except for the headers).There is no h/xpipe.So I know it's only on the passenger side.
Their is the possibility of a cracked head.Being these are camel bumps from 1968.I bought them from the local machine shop.I dont know what brand lifters these are.I also got them at the machine shop.I do have a set of vortec's sitting around.I even have an intake for it.If the camel bumps end up being bad.
Im going to pull the plugs tomorrow and check them,when there's daylight.What should I do about them if there wet?Or oil fouled?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 AM

Last photo:

Get it to opp temp (180f/80c) pull all the plugs, clamp off the radiator overflow and fill the rad to the brim. Then do a compression test whilst watching the coolant level - if it rises on any cylinder thats the one where the problem lies.
Early Fuelie heads (#461/462/291) seemed to be ok if you didn't port them into the water jacket. Late ones (#186/492) were very thin under the valve springs. If they were bored for large dia springs (1.550) they would often crack. Here we used to bore the spring pads with a 'step' so the outer spring sat higher than the inners then use a spring shim under the inner to maintain spring height. If you suspect a crack drain the coolant, plug the oil return holes in the suspect head then when it is dry beyond doubt sprinkle baby powder around the spring bases. Get a friend to slowly fill the engine with plain water and watch the powder to see if it 'clags'.
I've got a pair of 461s in the shed I've used on 2 engines (350 & 400) and with 2 rebuilds have done over 400000 miles in my hands. They're 1964 castings and I bought them in 1991 - who knows how far they've gone with NO CRACKS.
No I wouldn't use vortec's, they crack here. Dart sportsman are cheap as dirt these days, or for a better head why not Pro lightning now sold by comp cams. BTW your cam sounds like a STOCK spring would be plenty.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.