Blown head gasket? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blown head gasket?

I posted this question before but i think the title scared everyone away because it's a foreign car. I have a problem with a volvo s70 with a 2.4 I5 engine. Stopped at a light and it just died and then when i tried to start it back up a dark blue puff off smoke came out from under the hood and it doesn't want to start now. Called a tow truck and got it back home and i look at the tow truck bed and there is a puddle of oil and coolant mixture under where the car was. The car has been having fuel problems lately and i was about to change the fuel filter because i honestly think it has never been changed in the 120,000 miles the car has. Also, the temperature gauge stopped working recently so i don't know what the temp was when the car died. My diagnosis is that it was running lean and caused high cylinder temperatures and blew the head gasket or cracked the head. Any other opinions? By the way, this is not my car, it is a family member's car. I would never had let it get to this point.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
I posted this question before but i think the title scared everyone away because it's a foreign car. I have a problem with a volvo s70 with a 2.4 I5 engine. Stopped at a light and it just died and then when i tried to start it back up a dark blue puff off smoke came out from under the hood and it doesn't want to start now. Called a tow truck and got it back home and i look at the tow truck bed and there is a puddle of oil and coolant mixture under where the car was. The car has been having fuel problems lately and i was about to change the fuel filter because i honestly think it has never been changed in the 120,000 miles the car has. Also, the temperature gauge stopped working recently so i don't know what the temp was when the car died. My diagnosis is that it was running lean and caused high cylinder temperatures and blew the head gasket or cracked the head. Any other opinions? By the way, this is not my car, it is a family member's car. I would never had let it get to this point.
Don't much about Volvo's but I do know that puddles of oil and coolant aren't a very good sign.

I know that the Renton, Washington (home of the Boeing 737) police department was talked into using Volvo patrol cars a few years ago. It was a disaster. They sure ain't no Police Interceptor, Crown Vic.

Bogie
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Last journal entry: Plymouth Viper Radiator
Last photo:

A bad fuel filter wouldn't do it. It is probably from a poorly maintained cooling system. If you fix it, I would recommend installing a new water pump and get the radiator cleaned and flow tested. Replace it if necessary. Check your thermostat on the stove in a pan of water with a candy thermometer to make sure it is accurate. It would be a good idea to install a new temp gauge to keep an eye on things. Make sure your new head is flat and the block surface are clean. Use NEW head bolts and torque with an accurate wrench to factory specs and you should be good for a long time.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Going by what you said happened, it sounds more to me that you blew the timing chain or timing belt.......But, the puddle under the car shows you blew some seal or another....Check your oil for coolant and check your rad for signs of oil.....Thats the 1st thing I would do.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Well the car starts but runs rough for about a second then dies, and there is oil and coolant on the air box and intake hoses, etc... I might do a compression test just to be sure but if it turns out to be the head gasket then we're going to buy a diesel truck because it's just more practical and i need to tow a trailer anyway.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

you should be able to air charge the cylinders one at a time and look for air bubbles at the surge tank filler neck.Bubbles in the system will indicate a head gasket that is blown or leaking.The blue puff you saw might have been power steering fluid if the engine misfired and turned over backwards. The power steering fluid in the volvos is quite flammable.

Last edited by latech; 08-20-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

It was on the other side of the engine, not near any accessories. It's turbo though so i think it was just it's time to go. I'm thinking about fixing it slowly because i'm probably getting a dodge cummins or chevy duramax truck, so i won't need the car but it will be good for my lil bro to drive in a few years.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

What have you got against you little brother? LOL

If you find that the oil/coolant mixture on the ground came to be by an innocuous method, you're lucky. Because usually, this means it's terminal.

Unless the car is perfect otherwise, that engine will not be worth fixing, in all likelihood. If the car is worth salvaging, I would put another bullet in it instead of trying to rebuild that particular engine- if it it well and truly blown. Otherwise, I'd wholesale it and never look back.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

oil/coolant mixture on the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327

If you find that the oil/coolant mixture on the ground came to be by an innocuous method, you're lucky. Because usually, this means it's terminal.

Unless the car is perfect otherwise, that engine will not be worth fixing, in all likelihood. If the car is worth salvaging, I would put another bullet in it instead of trying to rebuild that particular engine- if it it well and truly blown. Otherwise, I'd wholesale it and never look back.
I agree w Cobalt.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I meant to say that i would fix it for him to drive. lol.
The car isn't in great condition either but i found a 1999 ram 2500 quad cab wit a cummins diesel, 4x4, and 4 inch lift for $3000 that im going to look at, so i think i'll just junk the volvo or sell it for parts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.