blown intake gasket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2002, 11:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post blown intake gasket

my gasket blew out now im going to replace it but whats the best gasket to use and should i use the front little ones that go on the block or chuck them and use form a gasket stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2002, 05:39 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

Use a good brand name gasket. I prefer Victor-Reinz, but Fel Pro is good also. Use a good brand of RTV sealer in place of the end seals. Just make sure all the sealing surfaces are clean and dry. Put the gaskets in place with a very sparse amount of sealer around the water ports, only. I use Copper Coat sealer here.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

so dont use the end gaskets i put them on about 3 weeks ago i dont know if i put them on to tight or what but yesterday they blew through in the midle of traffic lucky it didnt couse an accedent you couldnt see anything withen four car lengths
Old 10-08-2002, 04:20 PM

Talking

Weiland advises that using the rubber gaskets, front and back, will/may keep the manifold from sitting down tight on the heads. Use ATV. I also use Copper Coat, sprayed on the heads. I like Fel-Pro performence brand gaskets.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:23 PM

Waidadamnminutehere. WHY did they "blow" in traffic. How did you manage to build up so much pressure in the lifter valley? Something here is truly not kosher.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:59 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Slider, Where ya from????
Slider in Wa.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

well it better be my intake gasket becouse i just tore everything apart and changed them last night till 3.am u are saying that there is no presuse on these gaskets to push them out when i looked at the motor runing i saw oil leaking from the center of the intake ,oil was running down both sides of the block to the bottom of my headers.now where else would it be leaking from to go down both sides of the engine....now when i changed my intake gasket there is oulets on my intake in the center on both sides of it but nothing on my heads the water holes were on the outer sides of the head not in the center like the intake what should i do just leave them open sealed to the head
Old 10-09-2002, 11:18 AM

There should not be pressure internally if you have a properly functioning positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system. Well that is unless there is a really major blowby problem.

Are the two holes you are looking at in the center of the manifold gasket perhaps the exhaust crossover?

You did remember there are oil gallery plugs at each end of the block just below the intake? Maybe you blew a pressure switch or line? You'll know this morning when you go to work.

I left the forward plug loose once. Just once however. Looked like Old Faithful!!

Old 10-09-2002, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

Angry

i did some research on the rpm intakes and yes it is exhaust crossover so im just going to leave them alone and no i didnt think about the oil holes below the intake i didnt even know they were there.i know how to unbolt and bolt back on stuff but when it comes to trouble shooting stuff thats were it cost me alot of money to replace parts till its fixed now are these holes small or big is there something conected to them or just plugs .the only other thing thats close by is the oil presure unit thats just to the right of the distributor are they known to leah???thanks for the help
Old 10-09-2002, 12:21 PM

yes the oil pressure sending switch will leak all over the place.once icracked the top off of one and didnt notice right away. what a mess. dont forget to wrap teflon around the threads so it dont leak. also make sure its not coming from the distribitor. sometimes people forget to put the gasket on the distrubitor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.