Blue Devil Engine & Cooling Sealant - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Blue Devil Engine & Cooling Sealant

OK guys I have a 1989 Chevy 2500 5.7 V8 with blown head gaskets, I haven't driven it since the head gaskets blew. (about 4 months ago). But I am building my house addition and my buddy just took his trailer back that I was using behind my Explorer to get materials home with. Now I need my truck back on the road, I don't have the time to rebuild the engine at this point so I installed a can of this Blue Devi Sealant. Have you guys had any luck with this stuff. I don't plan on driving it every day and the lumber yard is only aprox 4 miles round trip.

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you ever find a mechanic in a can you better let him out.
Okay, I`ll edit this post and say, once we used Sodium Silicate, also known as "liquid glass" on blown head gaskets before, and it worked for about 6 months, this was on a 2.8 liter cavalier Z24, but there`s no way to promise it`ll work on all applications since there`s no way to know how bad the damage is, on a friends car which was a honda 4 banger with a cracked head it held about 3 months, which was a shock to us both, but in a small block chevy where the head was cracked in the chamber it didn`t work at all.

Last edited by DoubleVision; 08-17-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:18 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 steve
OK guys I have a 1989 Chevy 2500 5.7 V8 with blown head gaskets, I haven't driven it since the head gaskets blew. (about 4 months ago). But I am building my house addition and my buddy just took his trailer back that I was using behind my Explorer to get materials home with. Now I need my truck back on the road, I don't have the time to rebuild the engine at this point so I installed a can of this Blue Devi Sealant. Have you guys had any luck with this stuff. I don't plan on driving it every day and the lumber yard is only aprox 4 miles round trip.

Steve
DO NOT USE THE BLUE DEVIL STUFF! I DID LAST YEAR AND I'M STILL PAYING FOR IT TODAY!

I used it to stop an imagined leak into a cylinder. Instead in plugged up my radiator and caused an overheating problem. I finally had my radiator rodded out, but I'm sure the block is still full of that crap. I should have known better 'cause I have seen a few engines in which that crap was used in and it just plugged them up. DON"T DO IT!!

tom
Old 08-17-2005, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

sold the Blue devil several times, only had one complaint...and he had a crack approx 5 in long in the side of the block. Have used K & W block sealer on numerous occasions. If you read and follow the instructions, it will work. Like Double vision said.....ya better let him out. None of this stuff is a permanant fix, don't care what they say, however, if ya gotta get the truck going for a little while...you will fix it correctly later................right
Old 08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:

Whatever engine sealant you choose to try, i would advise that first you remove the thermostat, then disconnect the hoses from the heater core and either plug them or hook them together. After you have run the engine enough to see if it works you can drain the cooling system and refill will 50/50 anti-freeze and water and put your thermostat back in and hook up the heater hoses. I have used liquid glass and some of the other sealers with good results, but like everyone says it is a temporary fix. The first time I did not do like I told you and my thermostat stuck and my heater core clogged up with sealer. Its really just a shot in the dark but it may buy you some time. In the end you will have to fix it right.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwell
however, if ya gotta get the truck going for a little while...you will fix it correctly later................right
I know this is only a temp fix but I need the truck before I can fix it properly. And yes I will fix it properly, because I need this truck to be a driver, just don't have time right now to fix it properly. I am a auto tech and fix cars properly all day every day. This is my truck so it can get a band aid, if that band aid fails it will only be me that has to walk.

Steve
Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Just got back from a test drive and engine is not overheating, no white smoke from the tailpipe, no blowing coolant back in the over flow bottle.
I know this should not last for any length of time or millage, but like I stated above I need it to drive maybe 8 miles a weekend until I can fix it properly.

Steve
Old 02-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Hey Steve, how did the Blue Devil work out?

Arjay
Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

NO answer? He must still be walking.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
NO answer? He must still be walking.
No, not still walking, just seen this post again. The truck is running fine, only has aprox 50 miles on it since I used the Blue Devil stuff. But it did stop the head gasket leak. Like I said in the earlier post I will not and do not drive this truck much. Its only being used to haul building materials to my house.

Steve
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM

Still not Walking?

hey this question is for Steve. I just bought some of the blue devil stuff myself. but i am kind of skeptical about its reliability and have read it will clog up my engine and the residue that clogs up the engine will be darn near impossible to remove. Now that some time has passed can you give me some info on the eventual performance of your truck, and is it something you would recommend for a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 cylinder 3.0L.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Last journal entry: New (used) 350.
Last photo:

I'm thinking about buying it. My 99 Park Ave, which I bought from my friends uncle, started overheating a week after I bought it. Took it in and the shop suggested I go to a radiator shop, and they said they don't know if it's a head gasket or the head itself, but exhaust is getting into the oil. I have never heard of this. Please help guys. I don't have any other car I can drive daily and am broke as hell. -Alex
Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58lincoln
I'm thinking about buying it. My 99 Park Ave, which I bought from my friends uncle, started overheating a week after I bought it. Took it in and the shop suggested I go to a radiator shop, and they said they don't know if it's a head gasket or the head itself, but exhaust is getting into the oil. I have never heard of this. Please help guys. I don't have any other car I can drive daily and am broke as hell. -Alex
Oh , I see you aked the same question here. The problem is you wont seal the crankcase with blue devil if the the problem is combustion pressure is getting into the crankcase as it is NOT PART OF THE COOLING SYSTEM.get a grip on the dynamics of the situation here.
Blue Devil works good IF you do it correctly. Follow the instructions to the LETTER. ONCE AGAIN it will not seal a leak of combustion pressure into the crankcase.You had better check the engine compression and do a leak down test or your going to waste your time and money. I would not want to see you do that my friend.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

It worked on my 78 Nova with a 305. I blew the head gasket when I started experimenting with timing and carburator tuning. I had my timing too advanced and I leaned out the primary jets. On. A hot AZ day I smashed the throttle and only heard "Nickels in a can" and I blew the head gasket. I was loosing about a gallon of coolant a week.

Its been about a year and still holding up to abuse. Just make sure you flush the system before using it and follow the instructions.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 steve

Steve
My answer to this is , its a chevy ,it should be an easy fix to put in head gaskets, shouldnt it?
Its not like its a 3.0 liter mitsu twin turbo rice grinder that is near impossible to even change a spark plug on.
If you fix it right the first time it will last.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.