Blue Racer vs. Thumpr - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 06:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blue Racer vs. Thumpr

Im in the market for a new cam, I just want a change from last year. Im looking for more power (obviously) and a rougher sounding idle, because who doesnt want that?
The cam I am currently running is a Blue Racer 280-2H, PN: wg1159k. This cam has worked really well, except not being able to pass the local smog test. I would like to know if I would see a definite gain if i went with a Comp Thumpr 279T H-107 or a 287T H-107, although i have my doubts that my engine can support the 287T.
Engine specs:
-Chevrolet 350 (010)
-GM 1.94 heads (non camelhump)
-Flat tops w/four valve releifs
-Wiend Stealth Intake manifold
-Holley 650 vac
-Shorty headers w/ single 3" exhaust into flowmaster muffler out dual 3" tailpipes (F-body)
-T-5 5speed
-3.73 gears
-weight w/driver is 3360lbs

Like i said, the current cam runs pretty good but i dont really like the smooth idle and im looking for more power, open to suggestions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 06:52 PM

ok heres what i did i bored out my 350 in my 79 gmc .60 over i got some 1.02/1.60 62cc double camel hump heads and a steel crank with some flat top pistons a edlebrock rpm performer gap intake and a 850 holley carb the rockers a 1.6.1 spark plugs are diamond fire hotter spark headers are from hooker got them painted white oh yea and the cam well is form comp cams 292h oh yea almost for got i horrible on gas i have 120 octane dont ask where i get it i'm making 535 horse took it out of the truck builf a much milder one and that engine is now in my dads 78 z28 camaro behind a m22 rock crusher 12 bolt rear with 4.10 gears runs pretty hot tho dont stay in one spot for long so if you looking for serious power build something along those lines.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the tip. Im aware of all the things i could do to make serious power, thats not what im after. i just want to know if i might see any significat gains by changing cams. I realize i will have to use different springs, but other than that im not into changing anything else, i have a "serious power" project, this one isnt it.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 PM

H-107 i've used that one pretty sure you could see a good gain in power throttle respose and the sound would be there
Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

ive been meaning to ask about thumper cams
whats the general feeling on these .
do they make good power or are they just about rough idle
Old 01-31-2009, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automods
Im in the market for a new cam, I just want a change from last year. Im looking for more power (obviously) and a rougher sounding idle, because who doesnt want that?
The cam I am currently running is a Blue Racer 280-2H, PN: wg1159k. This cam has worked really well, except not being able to pass the local smog test. I would like to know if I would see a definite gain if i went with a Comp Thumpr 279T H-107 or a 287T H-107, although i have my doubts that my engine can support the 287T.
Engine specs:
-Chevrolet 350 (010)
-GM 1.94 heads (non camelhump)
-Flat tops w/four valve releifs
-Wiend Stealth Intake manifold
-Holley 650 vac
-Shorty headers w/ single 3" exhaust into flowmaster muffler out dual 3" tailpipes (F-body)
-T-5 5speed
-3.73 gears
-weight w/driver is 3360lbs

Like i said, the current cam runs pretty good but i dont really like the smooth idle and im looking for more power, open to suggestions.
It seems like your real problem is passing a smog test, to that end, a rougher idling cam will be of no help. The higher performance capability of the cam the greater amounts of overlap will be used as well as a later closing intake. These are functions that are antithetical to low emissions.

So if you can't pass the local smog test what happens? In Washington state, which uses California law on the subject, if you have a modified vehicle that fails a SMOG test, you can't get the vehicle licensed for the street unless and until the engine can pass a test and corrections have been performed by a SMOG certified shop or the vehicle has been returned to it's original emissions certified configuration and can pass a test.

More cam seems to having barking up the wrong tree.

Bogie
Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

If I was you stay away from the thumpr cams whether its flat tappet or roller. I have the Big mutha thumpr roller version and its coming out either this summer or fall time. Those cams will make some decent power and torque but they have a lot of overlap for the sound and you will have a lot of problems getting your timing right along with your engine to combust good. If you want a better sounding cam and get better horsepower and torque go with something from compcams extreme energy cam line. They will give you about an average of 15 or more hp then the thumpr cams. Go with the extreme energy comp cam with 218/224 @ 50 duration and you will get a slight lopey idle and still have good vaccum and be a good daily driver. That is the one I am going to use for my current build.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.