Blue smoke at idle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 07:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Blue smoke at idle

If I let my truck idle for a few seconds in or out of gear and then pop the throttle I get a puff of blue smoke. Put it in neutral and hold it at 1500 rpm and there is no smoke coming from the pipes. It is definately oil, keeps getting lower on the dipstick. Thinking possibly three things, that my valve stem seals are leaking(four of my eight plugs are wet when removed after the engine was running), or that my carb needs adjusted, or it could be sucking up oil through the PCV valve. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 AM

What's the mileage on this motor? Is the valve cover baffle in place where the PCV is installed? Sounds like when the manifold vacuum is higher it's pulling oil into the intake. How about leaky intake gaskets allowing oil to be drawn into the intake ports. A test with a vacuum gauge might tell the story. Check the link below.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
Old 06-17-2006, 08:46 AM

Mileage is about 3500 miles. It's a 355 that I recently rebuilt. Your comment about the valve cover baffles could very well be my problem. The valve covers I bought have one hole in each cover. If your looking at the engine from the grill I have the PCV valve in the back left hole and the little air cleaner lookin thing in the front right. I fill the oil through the front right and it has a baffle cause it takes and hour to fill it with oil. Maybe the one in the back has no baffle? Also, I should get about 16" vaccum with this cam (268H comp) but can only seem to muster 10". Doesn't seem like I have as much power as I thought I would. Should have at least 300 hp but with 31" tires, a 2200 stall converter, 3.08 gears, and a th350 tranny I cannot spin the tires no matter what.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.