Boat engine help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Boat engine help

Hey guys, I know its a bit different from everything else on the engine section but I figure you guys will know what to do. So heres the story, Back in the day a good 20+ years ago my grandfather parked this old boat (not sure what kind of boat) in the boat house up at our cottage. The cottage is more then 60 years old and the boat house is somewhere in that range too. After all these years of the harsh winters and ice smashing into it during the winter, the thing is ready to collapse at any minute. With this boat sitting there my uncle and I decided to get it out and save it.

This weekend my friend and I went up there to meet my uncle and try to get it out. The thing is beautiful! It has a layer of dirt and dust like you wouldn't believe but its mint! Anyways, we look the engine over and it looks great. she cranks over nice with the starter and has compression like you wouldn't believe when you pull start it. Anyways, we check for spark but no luck. At first we think its the points since its such a old boat (1965). We take the pull start off and of course I didn't bring my impact gun to take the flywheel nut off. After that my friend gave up on getting the engine running. Everyone we spoke to said we wouldn't get her running since its been sitting too long and me being the believer that everything built back in the day is almost always better never gave up. I thought that as long as we had spark she would run. After looking the boat over I realize that NOTHING in the front works. Not the horn, lights, volt guage or marker lights. At this point I am thinking we aren't getting power to the coil. We check voltage and we are getting just over a volt So after sanding the connections on the ignition switch still nothing. At the end of it I hot wire the ignition and she has spark. FINALY!

Alright, this is where my problem comes in and after all this I am going to look stupid as hell. I hot wired the coil with a line straight off the battery and after we found we had spark I was called to run up and take a look at the water pump because it had been having issues all day and suddenly quit on us. Of course with all the commotion I forgot to take the cables off the battery and when I came back the wire I used to hot wire it had melted and the wire on the engine was just reaching that point as well. I killed the power and let it cool off. After that we couldn't get spark anymore. We had power to the coil and everything, but no spark.

FINALY ------ The engine off the boat is a Evinrude Lark 6, and from what I can find its a 40hp model from 1965 or 66. I am pretty sure I killed the coil but I want to know what you guys think. What did I break and where can I get a replacement? Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel I wrote

Advertisement

Last edited by handymann3; 07-04-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 05:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymann3
Hey guys, I know its a bit different from everything else on the engine section but I figure you guys will know what to do. So heres the story, Back in the day a good 20+ years ago my grandfather parked this old boat (not sure what kind of boat) in the boat house up at our cottage. The cottage is more then 60 years old and the boat house is somewhere in that range too. After all these years of the harsh winters and ice smashing into it during the winter, the thing is ready to collapse at any minute. With this boat sitting there my uncle and I decided to get it out and save it.

This weekend my friend and I went up there to meet my uncle and try to get it out. The thing is beautiful! It has a layer of dirt and dust like you wouldn't believe but its mint! Anyways, we look the engine over and it looks great. she cranks over nice with the starter and has compression like you wouldn't believe when you pull start it. Anyways, we check for spark but no luck. At first we think its the points since its such a old boat (1965). We take the pull start off and of course I didn't bring my impact gun to take the flywheel nut off. After that my friend gave up on getting the engine running. Everyone we spoke to said we wouldn't get her running since its been sitting too long and me being the believer that everything built back in the day is almost always better never gave up. I thought that as long as we had spark she would run. After looking the boat over I realize that NOTHING in the front works. Not the horn, lights, volt guage or marker lights. At this point I am thinking we aren't getting power to the coil. We check voltage and we are getting just over a volt : rolleyes : So after sanding the connections on the ignition switch still nothing. At the end of it I hot wire the ignition and she has spark. FINALY!

Alright, this is where my problem comes in and after all this I am going to look stupid as hell. I hot wired the coil with a line straight off the battery and after we found we had spark I was called to run up and take a look at the water pump because it had been having issues all day and suddenly quit on us. Of course with all the commotion I forgot to take the cables off the battery and when I came back the wire I used to hot wire it had melted and the wire on the engine was just reaching that point as well. I killed the power and let it cool off. After that we couldn't get spark anymore. We had power to the coil and everything, but no spark.

FINALY ------ The engine off the boat is a Evinrude --Manually Fix-- Evin rude Evin-rude Eventide Evinced Inured Intrude Evered Evened Eventuate Evince Lark 6, and from what I can find its a 40hp model from 1965 or 66. I am pretty sure I killed the coil but I want to know what you guys think. What did I break and where can I get a replacement? Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel I wrote
If the points were closed during all this, the points/condenser might need replaced. But you didn't do the coil any favors, that's for sure, and it could be shot, too.

I'm guessing this is a 2-stroke, so don't forget to mix 2-stroke oil in the gas.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Yea, I think I pretty much doomed the ignition system since I accidentally left it for a good 10 or 15 minutes. We mixed the oil and even added some lead substitute. Do you know where I could get the replacement parts for my engine?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymann3
Yea, I think I pretty much doomed the ignition system since I accidentally left it for a good 10 or 15 minutes. We mixed the oil and even added some lead substitute. Do you know where I could get the replacement parts for my engine?
Every town w/a decent lake has at least one guy who has a bunch of old outboards around. Ask at the marina, bait shop or boat basin, or fish camp where you boat.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Johnson/ Evinrude has been around for a very long time.. those parts should be available at any boat shop.. that old of an engine may use a preassure tank. so don't forget to pump it up if it has 1... shouldn't take that much to get it running. there really no more complicated than a briggs and stratton

also.. do not ever start an outboard out of water. if you do, it will ruin the water pump, and then it's going to need more help... basics of basics first tho. drain the lower unit, and put new lube in it. if there is excess water in it. consider the engine may need seals in the lower unit.. make sure the shift shafts are free and that it is not stuck in gear..

that said. fiberglass boats of the 1960's are quite heavy. and considering this is probably a runabout with a 40hp. it will probably top out at 20-25 MPH.. as far as finding out the make.. look by the shifter/ throttle, and the hull identification tag should be there
Old 07-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

First things first, its likely a good thing you couldn't get it started since the water pump impeller is probably turned to powder from sitting. I wouldnt do anything to that motor until I pulled the carb off and cleaned it well and replaced the rubber water pump impeller (if it has one). Your crank seals are likely hard and ready to crumble too, your best bet may be to just auction it off to the highest bidder on E-Bay to someone who loves these old motors and let them rebuild it back to original running condition...getting it started now is a recipe for disaster and a long row back to shore because of its age.

It would be shame to turn it into a boat anchor just for 20 minutes of run time on the water and have her seize on you in the middle of the lake.

Going into all the work you need to do would be a novel and this isn't the site for it, however there are some great website forums around that can help, really your motor is not that old and some parts may still be available as NOS.

This is a decent forum with plenty of experienced old outboard owners.
http://forums.iboats.com/

Here is the place to start.
http://www.aomci.org/links.htm
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, I think I found the parts I need on the iboating site and I actualy posted on that site too. I really dont wanna get rid of the engine since its been with my family for SO long. There's alot of history with the boat. As far as the boat goes, I will fix the ignition and replace the water pump. I just want something to rip around the lake and have fun with. Eventual I will get a bigger engine though, its only natural knowing me As far as getting stranded, I plan on taking the trolling moter I have. Ever heard of the British Segul? Its a great little engine thats almost impossable to kill. Only thing is, theres no kill switch, so thats going to need to be fixed.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.