Hot Rod Forum banner

boat motor block?

808 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Packard V8 
#1 ·
I am cracked, well my boat engine is. Need some help. Its a 1985 3.0 mercury, 184 ci. 140, 4 cyl. Who made these blocks, or what will replace it? need a block or complete engine. thanks :pain:

#3 ·
boat motor block

I have no Idea why it cracked. My son had the boat for 2 yrs. I retrieved to swap out the engine and out drive an found the crack which runs from between 1 & 2 cycles. to middle of #3. about 9 ins long. Haven pulled the head, but it has no compression on #1 cyl. that why I removed the valve cover to check valve operations, it looked good so I decided to remove the head. After removing the intake -exhaust manifold is when I saw the crack. I guess I'll pull the head and see how it looks inside, and go from there. I might try to welding if its not inside also, but I ain't crazy about welding it, but then it doesn't get that hot with water circulating all to time. Back to the drawing board. :sweat:

#5 ·
boat motors

Thanks Tom, lots of info. I'm still after a block rather than repair mine. I hate to spend 1000.00 and drive 9 hrs. for a pig in a poke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.