Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - are boats considered hotrods, here?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sorry, no offence, but that would not fly in the SF bay. Any V drive boat (especially a 16? footer is a calm lake boat) hitting waves in a fiberglass boat will destroy that V drive, in a fiberglass boat when hitting any waves have you ever seen the hull flex??? I have, they flex like crazy. Many years ago I ran a 21' deep V hull jet boat in the bay, 455 olds with a Berkley jet.
It took 2 years to make it bay worthy!!! I had to sort out everything, the first problem was with the body flex-the cable steering would short out the ignition switch and kill the engine. Spending the night out on the bay was no fun. Did it twice and hated it both times. The first time the engine died just at dusk. We floated along SF almost to the Gate and ended up just south of the san mateo bridge the next morning. The Tides are strong in the bay. The second time I knew what to do on the 21 deep V jet. Crawl into the bow and when the water hit my feet I would turn on the bilge pump.

Enough of that. Bought a 40' corsa with twin big blocks so I coluld cruise out in the pacific, the 2 engines never left me stranded again. Bought it in LA and piloted up to SF. That was also scary,