Bob Drake hood and rad support kit? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bob Drake hood and rad support kit?

Has anybody used this hood and radiator support kit from Bob Drake? Happy with it?, anything better out there? It's for my 35 Ford pickup.

http://store.bobdrake.com/horasubrki.html

Thanks - Karl.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I have not installed one,(can't be hard) ,but I have used them when they were on customers cars that came in.

They work fine.
mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin Karl
Has anybody used this hood and radiator support kit from Bob Drake? Happy with it?, anything better out there? It's for my 35 Ford pickup.

http://store.bobdrake.com/horasubrki.html

Thanks - Karl.
The radiator support rods are "standard" but quality hot rod parts though the instructions are mediocre. If you don't have holes in your firewall for the fasteners, you will have to carefully measure. The radiator, especially if original or Walker will have the brackets built into the top tank.

The hood support will have 4 hooks - you will need to choose which pair to use - the other two are surplus. They work well, but the first time you install it, you will pray for an extra hand until you know where it mounts on the radiator support rods - there are two sets of assembly holes on mine. This assembly mounts fairly far back on the support rods.

Dave
Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dave, would you happen to have any pics of yours? I'd like to see how the hood support actually mounts. I still have the old rods in place, but I'm definitely going to replace them with stainless ones.
Thanks - Karl.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin Karl
Dave, would you happen to have any pics of yours? I'd like to see how the hood support actually mounts. I still have the old rods in place, but I'm definitely going to replace them with stainless ones.
Thanks - Karl.
Karl,
I took a quick look thru MY PICTURES on my hard drive and the only thing I have is a part of one rod bracket showing in one picture. I took a lot early on before my digital but they are not available now.

A brief description -
The support rods are self explanatory.

The actual hood support is not pre assembled. There are a couple of J-hooks that attach with nyloc nuts thru a couple of holes in the bracket - if there are more than 2 sets of holes, start with the outer ones and loosly install to the bracket then to the support rods where they look best.

On a '35, I'd probably start with the longest hood hook, bolt in place and try the hood for location. If too long, try the shorter ones. This assembly should sit fairly well back on the support rods(but then, maybe not on a '35 - the hood is unique on this and a '36).

Do one side first, then when you are happy, tighten to the support rods and install the opposite side. A helper, while not necessary, can make things easier while you try to juggle a bunch of loose pieces flopping around - and it is easy to get the hood hooks on upside down.

Hopefully not too confusing - any other response wont be 'til Sunday night or Monday as I'm off to NSRA Nats @ Burlington VT.

Dave

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.