Hot Rod Forum banner

Bobbin tension 111W15

5K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  SHOPIE 
#1 ·
I finally got my project underway and the sewing machine was great, then all of the sudden I have absolutely no more bobbin tension. I looked for the little screw to tighten, but, the two little ones down there don't seem to be the right ( one of two) as they are both quite tight. I believe they hold the parts together, not an adjustment. I see no adjustment screw. This little bugger is eluding me! Anyway, to be on the safe side, I went and ordered the tension spring and clip from Singer so I would be prepared. The person I bought from did mention he had issues with tension and didn't know how to fix it. So, I guess I walked into this with eyes wide open! However, it DID work properly for about an hour.... Does anyone have knowledge of bobbin tension on this machine? I am actually going with the instruction manual of the 211. THANKS!

#2 ·
Hi I think the tension spring may be worn from the thread [ replace ] also the two screws should be there. the screw on the right holds it [ must be tight ] the left one is the adjustment,also inspect the bobbin case where the thread rides [should be smooth with no groove] hope that helps

#3 ·
The tension for the bobbin is a little strip of spring steel that is on the side of the bobbin case. There are two screws that hold it on. The one in the back should be tight, and the front screw is for adjusting the bobbin tension. You adjust bobbin tension by tightening and loosening the screw that holds that piece to the bobbin case. You can do that with the bobbin still in the machine.

The picture of the bobbin case alone has no screw in the front hole. That's the one that is the adjustment. Are you sure it's the bobbin tension? When did this loss of tension occur? Did it happen after you changed the bobbin or the top thread? Most tension problems come from not threading the machine correctly.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks for speedie reply. That was what I thought, looking for confirmation. I will inspect for any grooves, however, the tread is not breaking, it has absolutely NO tension. Sewed great and then not. At least there is other stuff to do in the down time, but I was hot to get the sewing done!
BTW this machine is awesome! The 1/2 hp will get me thru the tuff stuff, and I can control the speed from one stitch at a time to zipping down length as fast as I like.

#5 ·
Thanks Dan, I had not removed the bobbin case, I will today, though. Firstly, I was sewing as usual and then stitching was not locking. The bobbin thread was loose on the bobbin, although it was nice when I wound it. OK< so I rewound another bobbin, after tightening the tension on the bobbin winder. Tried sewing again, no stitches locking. I was able to just pick off the bobbin thread in a loose string. Went from working great to not. I have sewn on various commercial machines since 1982. Hiatus from 2005 till now. Mostly vintage machines, with the exception of a Juki walking foot. I'm anxious to get help on this so I can get back to work on the project!

#6 ·
I really don't know if I can do that without removing the bobbin case, as I inspected it visually, looking for that exactly. Unfortunately I do not have internet at the shop, but I'll bring my camera today. Hopefully I am mistaken and can carry on.

#12 ·
After about an hour of sewing I am back to no tension. The screw is all the way tight. I am thinking that the bobbins that were with the machine are incorrect; with the possible exception of one. They seem too short for me. Would this affect the stitch? I am searching all my boxes of stuff for old ones to try tomorrow.

#13 ·
The bobbin size doesnt matter as long as it fits the diameter. The problem could be the thread size, should be the same as the top thread. Did you check for ware under the tension spring of the bobbin ? Thread will wareout the metal.I hade this happen to my first machine, it was an old 111w155 in 1964 , a good machine. Now i use a couple of Pfaff 545 H4 they are old but work great. They say on the machine [ made in western germany] Ah one more trick with the 111 is to turn the bobbin over and run the thread in opposite direction , this might help:)

#14 ·
I have ordered the spring but didn't get it yet. Although to be honest, I don't yet know the exact steps to take to find it. I am using the same top and bottom thread and yes I flipped it over to try both directions. I have a feeling that at least ONE of the bobbins work, or why would it work for a short time and then not. I think it was a bobbon change that lost tension at least this last time. I know most of the bobbons that came with the machine were the wrong ones, but a few fit just a tad bit less diameter but short. I think I found one here at home last night that might be the right one. I plan on ordering new ones from Singer. I have the 211 manual with the bobbin number on it. In the pic of Dans bobbin is how I would like it to fit.

#16 ·
Thanks Dan, I will check it out, but if it is as simple as the bobbin itself I'll try the local place first. Shipping time delay is killing me. I hope it is as simple as this. I am guessing that the tension spring I ordered if not the metal band itself, but a pigtail spring underneath somewhere or similar? I just got the # of it off the manual and it did not look like the band spring on the bobbin case.

I really do enjoy sewing and the end rewards, BUT we are gearing up for another line work (20 dressers) and have to put away soon to ward off all the sawdust.

#17 ·
The part you're looking for is called a bobbin case tension spring. If that's what you ordered, you'll get the right thing. There is no other spring in the whole hook-bobbin case assembly.

I still think there is a simpler reason for your problem. There is no logical reason why one minute you're sewing fine and the next minute you have no tension. Are you seating the thread properly between the tension discs on the tension assembly?

#18 ·
Awesome day! OK, so the spring I ordered was the one behind the bobbin latch, oh well, a cheap mistake. Actually, there was a little wad of oiley lint that my air gun did not get out, so the little screw couldn't tighten down and the thread just slipped out.
If I were doing this for a living (like I used to) I would look into the preloaded bobbins, but for now, we'll see where this takes me. I am enjoying doing this camper, though.
Thanks for your concern, help and timely reponse. I'll post my finished project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.