Hot Rod Forum banner

Bocar XP-5, 6, 7, 7R, and Stiletto.

43K views 65 replies 14 participants last post by  foolthrottle 
#1 · (Edited)
Morning all.
Been thinking about this for a while, and finally decided to do it. The Bocar, for those who don't know, is a rare sportscar produced between 1958 and 1961 in Denver Colorado. Less than thirty have been found since the factory burned over Christmas 1961, and little by little, they creep out of the woodwork to show their pretty faces to the world. We have campaigned one for the past twenty years in the Colorado vintage racing scene, and recently retired it. I am posting in the hopes that more Bocar owners and enthusiasts will come foreward with pictures and maybe a little history of their cars. I know some about certain cars and if you have questions about yours, I may be able to help. So, here we go. The car we have raced is XP-5 SN. 007 and has been a real treat to race. Though a bit scary considering it weighs 2100 lbs. and still has its original 283. You can still find pictures of this car online with its numbers and rollbar still in it. (107) If the driver is in a white firesuit with a blue neck donut, it's me. If the driver has a red firesuit, It's my Grandfather.

Attachments

See less See more
#57 ·
No limit on speed!

What questions can I answer SpeedLimit? I know of only one XP-4 that still exists, McKeel Hagerty owns that one. Previous owner took the Pontiac engine out of it and raced it with a Chevy for a while. You have piqued my interest, what can you tell me about this XP-4? I have record of Sn. 004 only.

#60 ·
Summer travels.

To any Bocar owners or nuts in the Midland Texas area, I will be there with my info until Thursday the 29th of June this year, I would be happy to share. May also be in Washington state and Oregon later in the summer if anyone is interested there.
By the way, Speedlimit? Whatever happened with the Bocar in the shed? Have a look at it yet?

#62 · (Edited)
Confirmed. Xp-4 002

I confirm that. The car is indeed XP-4 002. The chassis construction, and also the usage of iron Chevy drum brakes and the strait cut doors all are consistent with an XP-4, the serial reflected on the title is 002. No brass tag, but the early ones didn't have them, only a state ID number. Decoding the number revealed the car as titled in 1958 with serial number 002. Body is not as thin as the later competition cars, but not as thick as the later street cars. Motor mounts show a Chevrolet, not a Pontiac like McKeel's car originally had. A good find indeed, the Bocar Registry thanks the owner, and the folks that turned my attention to it. The current-state photo was taken by the guy who contacted me, thanks Rory, great old car and I am glad to have been of service.

Attachments

#65 ·
glass sport scar

A dozen or so years ago my daughter-in-laws family bought some property in the santa cruz mountains in Calif, that had 3 houses on it. The big house had a V W powered fiberglass sports car stored under a carport. It was there for a few months after they purchased the property. but the seller finally came and got the car. I looked it over. to see if I could fit a corvair in it. I had done a couple corvair dune buggies, and modified a corvair, adding more intake holes to the head-manifold then built a spider-leg intake with a holly 2 barrel when I was teaching the engine classes at the college. a=at the time I thought it was a Devlin

#66 ·
Speaking of fiberglass car projects sitting unfinished, I have three. sad and tragic no.1 is a 356 speedster that I wanted to fit a vtec 5 speed to rear engine. Pathetic looser no.2 is a replica 1952 MG TD, the plan is to go fenderless with a Chev 350 4 speed, this car was built with Chevette components, the plan was to use a Fiero front suspesion and S-10 rear axle and 350 4spd, this one is a glorious large pile of parts. What could go wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.