Bocar XP-5, 6, 7, 7R, and Stiletto. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Mekanicus Automotive Group

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bocar XP-5, 6, 7, 7R, and Stiletto.

Morning all.
Been thinking about this for a while, and finally decided to do it. The Bocar, for those who don't know, is a rare sportscar produced between 1958 and 1961 in Denver Colorado. Less than thirty have been found since the factory burned over Christmas 1961, and little by little, they creep out of the woodwork to show their pretty faces to the world. We have campaigned one for the past twenty years in the Colorado vintage racing scene, and recently retired it. I am posting in the hopes that more Bocar owners and enthusiasts will come foreward with pictures and maybe a little history of their cars. I know some about certain cars and if you have questions about yours, I may be able to help. So, here we go. The car we have raced is XP-5 SN. 007 and has been a real treat to race. Though a bit scary considering it weighs 2100 lbs. and still has its original 283. You can still find pictures of this car online with its numbers and rollbar still in it. (107) If the driver is in a white firesuit with a blue neck donut, it's me. If the driver has a red firesuit, It's my Grandfather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bocar_007.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	80634  

Advertisement

Last edited by Speedshift_Sam; 09-11-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Perhaps some more history.

The creator, Bob Carnes, wanted to build the fastest, safest, and most reliable sports car in America. Using a glass body, triangulated 4130 Chrome-molly tube frame, Buick Alfin drums, Corvette powerplant and driveline, and Volkswagen torsion bars for suspension. Though some cars had VW front suspension, many others had whatever he could get his hands on up front. One had Aston Martin, 007 has DB Panhard, another has Jaguar, one has '59 chevy, and another with 300sl Mercedes. The rears were almost always Corvette. The rear suspension was typically a four link using a VW rear torsion bar as the lower link and an a-frame on the top of the pumpkin for locating. Others had leaf springs and an upper trailing link like 007 does. Each car was different, and each car has its own personality. The XP-6 was 14 inches longer than the XP-5, and featured a Potvin adapted supercharger. The XP-7 was an unsupercharged long car, the XP-7R was supercharged and featured a solid front axle sprung with a torsion bar. The Stiletto was pure race machine, long and low, supercharged, and weighing in at 1700lbs. Though we have a sales brochure for an XP-9, we have never heard of one still existing. The Prototype XP-9 coupe is in the following picture that I've had for ages. 007 is the white car on the right. Bob Carnes is in the center.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bocar factory.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	80682  

Last edited by Speedshift_Sam; 09-11-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: To Err is human....
Old 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

nice little ride. since you are retiring the car, you better watch out for Leno i heard he comes and looks around Hodrodders from time to time. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to killeratrod For This Useful Post:
Speedshift_Sam (09-11-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Hey Thanks

Thanks for letting me know about Leno, he's welcome to make an offer on one of our cars if he likes. We have 4 of these XP-5's.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

Sweet looking car! Kinda looks like a cross between a European sports car and a custom show car.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

I love the cars of that era. I remember there was one Bocar in Tucson in the late seventies.! I went to look at it ... and to drool! They had a very aggressive "look"... and the performance to go with it

I was never involved with a Bocar, but there were many other similar cars and body products in those days. I also fell in love with the Ferrari-like Devin bodies used for racing at the drags, road courses, Bonneville, and Pikes Peak.

Later I worked for customers on the completion of a Roger McCluskey built Devin, that he never finished... some production Devin car restorations... A complete build around the body used for the SS model... and bought and sold a few bodies.

A partner and I even tried to work out a deal with Bill Devin to start manufacturing them again, but sadly his offer made it unachievable. Beautiful cars though!

Here is the McCluskey car finished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic 009 (4).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	81730  
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

The Bocar X-1.

Tucson Jay, if the Bocar you saw was red with a blower jutting out of the hood, then you saw the Bocar X-1, the first one ever built. I know the man who owns it, and it is still in the Tucson area. He also built a copy of it to race at Bonneville. Once the flood waters here in Colorado subside, I'll go up to our archives in the mountains and find a picture to scan in.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Sam, It's been a very long time, but I seem to remember him building the Bonneville clone car... though I can't recall his name. I only remember about where his shop was.

Bill Devin is gone now. I did take a splash mold off of the SS style front body, and could gain access to a couple Devin C's, which had the same rear body shape. In other words, I could produce a facsimile of an SS. On a realistic note... I don't see such an effort leading to a profitable venture, since the day of those wonderful cars is past. Today it is very rare to even hear mention of them. Sad, because they were amazing!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

The Bonneville Bocar, atleast a mention of it.

His name is Bonner Denton, Professor of Chemsitry at U of A. Google search him and you get some of his college acheivements, and of his racing history, Plus pictures of his current record setting car, a 540ci twin turbo Berkley. Only mentions his Bocar though. Hope that helps TJ.
On another note, a Gentleman recently contacted me from Wisconsin who purchased a Bocar off of an online auction site. I will post some of the pictures he sent me of his car. Wish I had one with all the body panels on it. I suspect it is was a factory purchased kit, since the tubes are all the same size instead of a mix of inch and five eights for the primaries, and inch for the braces. It is a little mysterious, but perhaps someone knows it. Seems to me it was someones prized drag racer, since nearly every tube has the builders initials hand-stamped into it, E M T. They didn't do that in the factory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	81745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	81753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	81761  

Last edited by Speedshift_Sam; 09-17-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

That's the guy! I could only remember his name was unusual. Now that you mention it, I remember his college connection.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

The X-1

Finally got up to our shop, and thankfully nothing was damaged in the flood. Here are the pictures of the X-1 of Dr. Denton. Is this the car you saw Tucson? These were taken in October of '83.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X-1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	711.7 KB
ID:	82602  
Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

It's been so long that I can't say for sure it was this car. The #1 serial sounds familiar... and his name and profession are unmistakable.... so it probably is! :-)

Thanks for sharing the pictures. If I have other Devin pics in the computer, I'll share them.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

Here is the first batch of Devin pics I promised.

The top car (on the body dolly in the first group) is one of the two Corvair powered Devin Cs I restored.
I don't have any other pictures of them scanned into the computer.

The rest of the photos are of the McCuskey built car. in prcess, and finished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	my pictures343.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	82945   Click image for larger version

Name:	my pictures344.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	82953   Click image for larger version

Name:	med form007.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	82961   Click image for larger version

Name:	med form007 (2).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	82969   Click image for larger version

Name:	med form006.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	82977  

Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Last photo:

These pictures are of a Devin kit body that happened to also be used for the factory turn key Corvette-powered "Devin SS" models. We built a tube chassis with all Jaguar suspension and Knock-off Dunlop wheels like the factory cars. We also duplicated the top bows... and the same hinges and latches that were used on the Devin production cars. We shipped it in the late eighties with an early Corvette engine and T-10 trans sitting in it. I called the guy about ten years ago, and the car was still never completed.

This also happens to be the largest body Devin ever made.

He built modular molds, so they could produce various models to fit different chassis, by simply adding length or width.

There were also Large mouth and small mouth models... plus the Devin Cs, Devin Ds (VW powered), which had no grill openings... but they had deck lid opening for the air cooled motors.

For you drag race buffs... a few famous cars that ran in Modified Sports, such as Joe Lunatis "Trouble Maker", used Devin kit bodies. They were very thin... hand laid from cloth... used resin only for the top finish... and required a great deal of work to use and paint!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	my pictures345.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	82985   Click image for larger version

Name:	my pictures346.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	82993  
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Always good to see the Devins

Lovely indeed! There has always been a special place in my heart for the Devins ever since I saw two Echidnas at Steamboat Springs one year for the vintage races. We also had a guy try and trade us a VW powered devin for one of our Stilettos. Which I will show you all here.... The car on the left had a spot of black or British racing green at the base of the headrest, but no other history can we find. The car on the right raced in the Bahamas speedweeks at Nassau 1961, driven by Graham Shaw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0134.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	83001  

Last edited by Speedshift_Sam; 09-22-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: to err is human....

Tags
bocar, chevy 283, fiberglass, rare, vintage

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.