body change to later frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2002, 11:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post body change to later frame

does anyone know what frame and floorpan will work the easiest when attempting to put a 49 chevy body on another year frame leaving the floorpan on the newer frame and channeling the chevy body over that floor pan ????? dick dean does this with 49 51 mercurts i am thinking any earlier (1970 to 1980) floorpan could be welded to the chevy body, but would like to know what would work the easiest,??? thanke Al Cooper

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2002, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

NOT THE ALICE COOPER?
Old 10-20-2002, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

THAT SEEMS ONE HELLOVA JOB!WHY NOT GO WITH 48 FRAME + NEW FRONT CLIP + REAR AXLE,I THINK IT"LL BE A LOT CHEAPER,NOT TO SAY EASYIER,YOU MUST BE ABLE TO GET DECENT BITS IN YOUR BREAKERS YARDS OVER THERE?
Old 10-20-2002, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

try g.m. intermediates (G-body)or monte carlo or grand prix frames you may have to lengthen some, but i've seen some well done conversions,lots of work but here in michigan the frames and floors on the old cars are usually victims of ma nature and the late model conversions start to look pretty good
Old 10-21-2002, 03:29 PM

Thanks, i kinda thought any g body might work, the original frame is rusted pretty bad so wanted to put the chevy on a newer floor pan and ronning gear, Al
Old 10-21-2002, 03:38 PM

No not alice cooper , just a poor streetrodder, I can get complete cars here cheap, i have built 2 49 mercurys,putting them on 78buick floor pan and running gear, if you get a matching wheel base car the change is a lot of work, but the ride and handeling is great. i just have never built any chevys, and the 49 coupe might be a little different than the mercurys, so i thought if someone had done this swap i could save a littletime using your experience with the swap ... thanks Al
Old 12-12-2005, 09:33 PM
suicide doors

hello I have a 55 ford truck i want to change the frame. What should I do ?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

You could try starting your own thread... and do some research on the forum and the net, there's a fair bit of info out there. Are you planning on using the truck as a truck or just for cruising? That could affect what you should start with.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrod936
No not alice cooper , just a poor streetrodder, I can get complete cars here cheap, thanks Al

Are you the Al Cooper with the yellow 32 Ford........with Jag stuff ??

Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roczilla
hello I have a 55 ford truck i want to change the frame. What should I do ?
I don't see how this could save any time or money. Unless you are on a deserted island and you have no original frame and there is a doner frame sitting there.

My brother did his 55 Ford F-100 keeping the original frame with a bolt in Volare front kit and some other leafs in the back with sway bars. This truck handles and drives like a car it is VERY nice. Modifying EVERYTHING just doesn't seem like a way to me.

And when I say EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING needs to be fabbed, not just the "body mounting". Every friggen bumper braket, steering, brake peddles, muffler hangers, brake lines, a hump in the floor, another hump in the floor, radiator support needs to be narrowed, inner fenders reshaped, running board brakets need to be redesigned, and on and on. Now, I don't know if all the things I just mentioned would actually need to be done, but I will bet they will, AND MORE.

It is MUCH easier to modify an original frame.

Brian
Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
suicide doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdscott
You could try starting your own thread... and do some research on the forum and the net, there's a fair bit of info out there. Are you planning on using the truck as a truck or just for cruising? That could affect what you should start with.
THANKS,I tried to make my own thread but I dont get no response. Im new at this I dont no want Im doing wrong
Old 12-15-2005, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

'50 Chevy P'up onto '91 GMC K-1500 Chassis

Along the lines of this discussion, I'm currently "modifying" the pan and firewall on my '50 Chevy 3-window body so it'll fit on a '91 GMC 4x4 chassis. The big difference between these two is that the old truck body sat completely above the drivetrain, while the newer truck body sat down over the frame with a "hump" for drivetrain. It requires a "slot" about 14" wide from the lower firewall back under the seat (need to clear the transfer case). I'll add a sheetmetal console to cover the slot.

Why am I doing this? I love the '50 Chevy 3-window bodystyle, but I need the 4x4 aspect (we've rec'd over 12' . . . that's right, twelve feet of snow since early November).

Maury in Steamboat

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.