Body - Exterior "Tips of the Day" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Body - Exterior "Tips of the Day"

An up-to-date version of all of the "Tips of the Day can now be seen at this link: Body and exterior tips. The new "Tips of the Day" page is a "wiki" -- this means that anyone (including you) can edit it and add more tips.

----

Thanks to all "Tip of the Day" posters, especially jcclark for his three original Body - Exterior Tips of the Day.

Here's a list of summaries and links to all of the tips, with the name of the first poster in each Tip of the Day discussion. Some of the tips are debated in the discussions; this isn't an attempt to determine which ones are "correct", just a central resource for accessing all of them.

Four of the tips (as well as this thread) have been added to the Body - Exterior Discussions category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base. Here they are:

Write the date on all products; use markers, tape, plastic bags, and a simple notation system to organize disassembled parts. (started by: BondoKing)
tip of the day #8

Use templates for accurate cutting and drilling when replacing body panels. (started by: MARTINSR)
Tip of the day #13

Cut rubber sanding blocks and plastic filler spreaders to whatever size you need; use rolls (not sheets) of sand paper; true your sanding blocks; modify a sanding block to make use of the excess sand paper from a long board strip; use a contour gauge to make a pattern for trimming a body filler spreader; use polyester putty applied with cheap brushes for high detail areas; use rubber hose as a sanding block for concave areas; use a mounted hacksaw blade as a sand paper cutting tool; use sheared sheet metal pieces to size pieces of sand paper; use a marked paper cutter for cutting sand paper; use newer contouring tools for sanding and applying filler to contoured body panel shapes. (started by: MARTINSR)
Tip of the day #24

For consistent film build, don't start and stop at the same point every coat; use proper gun travel techniques, practice even spraying technique with water loaded in the gun. (started by: MARTINSR)
Tip of the day #30

Here are the remaining tips, in order of the original post date.

Use marbles or gas to displace air in a can of hardener. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day

Protect tires with plastic garbage bags while painting. (started by: jcclark)
Tip Of The Day #2

Use inexpensive "jumbo sticks", tongue depressors, popsicle sticks, wood sticks, or butter knives as paint stirrers. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #3

Use old computer cases, spare body panels, or refrigerators as patch metal. (started by: FrankR)
Tip of the Day #....5 is it?

Use rope, twine, clothesline, insulated wire, vacuum line, or lifting tape to hold rubber gaskets off the surface when painting. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #7

Remove rusted bolts by heating with a torch and then cooling with water; remove broken bolts by banging a 12-point socket onto the shaft of the bolt and removing it with a ratchet; to remove a bolt that is broken off below the surface, build it up with a mig until there is enough to weld a nut to. (started by: MARTINSR)
Tip of the day #33

Punch holes in the trough of a paint can where the lid sits so that the excess paint will drain back into the can; use masking tape as a paint can pouring aid; use a ladle-type dipper for transferring paint. (started by: shoddy_f-body)
Tip of the day # 10

Use plastic baggies to protect painted bolt heads during installation; use mock-up bolts with plastic washers if you're going to do a lot of loosening/tightening while aligning. (started by: baddbob)
Tip of the day #11?

For color consistency, mix a gallon of paint and pour it into quart cans; intermix the cans. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #12 (cans)

Use plastic filler to make molds for reproducing small parts. (started by: kenseth17)
tip of the day #13.999 ahh heck, lets just make it 14

Assorted recommendations for taping off two-tone paint jobs. (started by: MARTINSR)
Tip of the day #15

Use directional sanding to eliminate previous scratch marks; use high grit sandpaper for full gloss. (started by: BondoKing)
Tip of the day #16

Buy penetrating oil by the gallon; use a hand mister to dispense it exactly where you want it. (started by: crashtech)
Tip of the day #17

To make a sanding block for an angle, place body filler in a bag and press it into the angle to make a mold. (started by: BondoKing)
Tip of the day #18

For small jobs, use cleaned bottle caps/medicine cups/Pyrex measuring cups, and an air brush. (started by: FrankR)
Tip of the day #19

Modify a caulk gun to use as a dual cartridge panel adhesive gun. (started by: kenseth17)
Tip of the day #20

Use toilet paper for cheap and convenient clean-up jobs. (started by: jcclark)
Tip Of The Day #21

When mixing double portions of primer or paint, mix one portion at a time. (started by: zonk)
Tip of the day # 22

Re-mask with fresh paper before applying a clear coat, to prevent blowing primer/epoxy/base dust up onto the clear as you make your passes. (started by: BondoKing)
Tip of the day

Scribe a line in your spray gun knob at the 12 o'clock position so that you can easily keep track of it when you're adjusting. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #23

Use a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol, applied with a spray bottle, to remove any fillers, glaze, etc. after buffing a panel, so that defects will be visible; use condiment squeeze bottles for storing compound, polish, and glazes. (started by: BondoKing)
Tip of the day #25

Cut and split vacuum hose to make custom body grommets. (started by: Bluepen)
Tip of the day #26

Use oil filter shells for making recessed tail lights. (started by: DusterNut)
tip of the day -oil filters

Use shot glasses or E-Z mix cups for precise mixing. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #25

Get magnets from old car speakers, old refrigerator and freezer seals, and old computer hard drives; use magnets for placing over your masking materials to keep the paper or plastic from blowing around, or holding fire blankets when welding; place magnets on the outside of your tool box, and you can suspend your tools from the inside; put a magnet in a plastic bag and use it to pick up spilled parts or pieces -- the magnet stays clean, and the pieces are in the bag. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #27

Use a chain for safe and easy hood spring installation. (started by: MARTINSR)
Tip of the day #28 Hood spring installation.

Use an electric blanket to provide heat to fully cure mostly-cured paint. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #29

Use a clean pair of cotton gloves to handle clean body panels without leaving fingerprints. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #31

Use a piece of metal with sand paper on it to true a sanding block. (started by: baddbob)
Tip of the day #32

To help your air compressor stay cooler, use an additional fan pointed at the compressor cylinders. (started by: jcclark)
Tip of the day #35

Advertisement

Last edited by Jon; 07-19-2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added link to wiki page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 06:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to keep Body Filler( BONDO) from falling upside down

When applying body filler up side down to keep it from falling before it sets up, mix about the same amount of elmer's wood glue with your regular cream hardner and mix body filler up and use as normal. You will notice as your start mixing that it get sort of tough. There is some sort of a chemical reaction going on I guess. This does not affect the end result of body filler. Rex
Old 03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Extra step at keeping your paint booth dust free.

1.An extra step at keeping your paint booth dust free.
Seal the concrete floor. Concrete is always breaking down and turning to dust. A good white epoxy is all it takes. And it makes future cleanups a snap.

2.Use lin seed oil in a spray bottle and mist your intake filters for a nice tack coat that helps catch debris.

3.Dust off over head sprinklers, or spray them with water after/before each paint job.

4.Try to eliminate all vibrations from the exhaust fan running.

5.When spraying a heavy metal flake, or pearl, firmly put your finger over the air cap of the gun and lightly pull the trigger. This will send air bubbles up through the gun into the cup helping to keep the flake or pearl suspended.

6.If you run out of locktite, use catalyst. lol
Old 03-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Orr
When applying body filler up side down to keep it from falling before it sets up, mix about the same amount of elmer's wood glue with your regular cream hardner and mix body filler up and use as normal. You will notice as your start mixing that it get sort of tough. There is some sort of a chemical reaction going on I guess. This does not affect the end result of body filler. Rex
I have to give a big thumbs down on this tip Rex. It may not hurt a thing,I don't know the chemical make up but geeeez, I don't think it is a good idea to become a junior chemist on these products.

Try other brands of filler some will say much thicker than others.

Brian
Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

first time painting in the booth??

hi every body..

this is My first time going to paint inside a hired booth.. and I really
feel unhappy nurvis...?? any recommendation please...

the car is 220 Mercedes and my friend hired the booth for around 60 usd.
from 8 am to 4 pm I am going to use spice hikers Germany maroon matalic
and clear base hi gloss clear. and going to use my sata rp digital 2 1.4nzl

my question is i am going to use 2 bar only instead of recommended pressure
2.5 to gain silent air and nice finish what do you think

on the other hand i may be use medium spray gun called devillbiss which is
made in japan..1.4 nozzle size for the clear coat only.. the gun is not mini
but its between the mini and big gun.. I LIKE THIS GUN WHEN I AM PAINTING
BIKE'S IT GIVE ME NICE FINISH WITH A 4 INCHES ONLY FROM THE CAR SURFACE.. PLUS SILENT AIR.. WITH NO PAINT RUN??

THANK YOU

GA
Old 07-08-2006, 12:07 PM
English guy in Oregon

Last photo:

Newbie tips on runs

Ok so I used many valuable tis last night in dealing with my first runs I got after spraying 1.5 gallons of paint...Not bad, two runs in a gallonf and a half...

I found the razor blade and the 220/400 rit wrapped around the paint stick most useful.

The paint store guy had sold me a soft 2000 and 4000 for final sanding....I used a rotary buffer and they really did not work.

However in my draw of old air tools I have never used in 10 years I found a new da sander..Why not ive it a try...Not expecting any different results...Woah!....Sooooo much better. These pads are just awesome now...quick rub with both of them and final cut polish with the rotary buffer and 85 grade polish and done!

I have no idea why the DA was any different to the rotary for fine sanding but the difference was night and day!

Highly recommend using a DA.

Frank
Ex Pat Brit, airplane project, pics in gallary
Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 AM

Last photo:

dear frank

thank you very much for your reply

in fact I've got 3 typt's of meguaires polish
1. diamoun cut and using the meguaires wool pad/makita
wool pad.
2. speed glaze and i am using foam pad from mequaires
(yellow color pad 7 inches dia.)
3. i got hi-tech yellow polish.. i am using it with hand/cotton

and now i am going to order g 100 polisher as you recommended

thank you and best regards
yousif
Old 07-19-2006, 11:00 AM
English guy in Oregon

Last photo:

G100?

Hi Yousif,

Not sure what a G100 is but all I used was an old air driven dual action sander. I need to get an interface pad for it to hold the finish pads.

The pads look like a 1/4" thick piece of foam with a grey fabric on the sanding side and come in 2000 and 4000 grits. Used a spray bottle to dampen the face of the pads while in use.

As I said used on a rotary buffer they don't work at all, but the DA sander was a night and day difference..

Regards

Frank
Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
English guy in Oregon

Last photo:

Sander/buffer

Here is the buffer I use for ...well buffing with the Diamond cut polish. I did buy a 9 inch (at least it looks like) foam pad from the paint store that velcros directly to the buffer pad.

Its currently on sale for $29.99

Frank

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623
Old 07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

An up-to-date version of all of the "Tips of the Day" can now be seen at this link: Body and exterior tips. The new "Tips of the Day" page is a "wiki" -- this means that anyone (including you) can edit it and add more tips.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 PM

How to set HVLP spraygun

I have seen somewhere an article on How to set a HVLP gun. Can anyone help me with the link please?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Here you go..

"Basics of Basics" gun set up.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.