Hot Rod Forum banner

Body filler?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MrPhotographer06 
#1 ·
I have some good sized holes in the body of my VW..Ranging from 1" x 1" to 2" x 12".. what whould i use to fill it?

Bondo? i decided welded in floor pans are just as good as replacement pans so the foot area will have an entire new floor but the rear i havent checked into that pan. I know the over engine panel will have to be replaced and there are some places other than that that would need some type of filler or cover instead of welding a 1 inch plate in. it would be alot easier to use a filler... What Kind?

-Cam :pimp:

#2 ·
Body filler ?

Hey Rusted out floor pann's are A - Typicall Vw . I would not try too fix them with Body filler . 20 Buck's will buy you a 1/4 pann replacement . Course it will say , not for street legal use, sticker on it.

Dont stress it ! Just buy it , then cannibalize it for patch . Weld it in . Now if 1/2 pann or whole side , replacement is warranted . Then you buy a qaulity 1/2 pann replacement . Street legal . Then replace whole side .

I could not tell , by your Pic's . As too how badd it is . With rust , /AKA cancer . You start diggin . There's no tellin where, the cancer stop's , and car start's ?

Pann restoration , Is what usually Come's first . Restore Pann then move ontoo the Body .

Once again. Im gonna Reiterate ! Grinding and wire wheeling is Dangerous ! It only take's 1 time ! Gettin a Peice of steel in your Eye , or Debri ? Pretty much , if it Putt's you too the E.R. Your Done ! It suck's big time ! In Fact what Some time's start's as a minor Irritation, in your Eye ? Can and Will become, so painfull !!!!! You will think , your Gonna go out of your Skull !
Cant stress Safety Glasses enough !

Other Safety consideration's . Dont breathe the Dust . Gett a Particles Mask , And or Painters, Respirator , Mask . You do not wanna breath, this Stuff .

Now Pann Restoration . Im Bettin unless , Battery Box has been replaced ? That it's the worst Side . This is Vw typicall ! Biggest Problem your Faceing here . Is Bottom of the Pann . Underneath the Car the pann is Coated , With Under Coating .

Removal of Under coating . Yipp it's a Jobb . Hot Vw's magg rann an article , on this few year's back . Out lined 3 Way's of doing it .

One way was the use of Chemical Paint remover . Problem is this ? With paint remover , you will still be left Sanding , Wire brushing etc. But now you have a Chemical paint remover, mixed intoo the Under coating . Really nasty stuff . <<< Gett some of that Dust goin , in the air . Gonna Burn Eye's ! The throat, nose ! I thought this part of Article was ignorant . Bigg Mess ! Pull pinn , Toss grenade under the car . Walk off ! Never look Back !

There other reccomendation ? Was use of a Torch . Heat the Under coating . Burnin it off or until it could be, easily Scraped off .

Problem here ? Car fire smoke . Is the most Toxic smoke, fumes there is ! Ok almost, the most Toxic . Any Fireman would tell you No way ! Badd Stuff ! Dont wanna breathe it .

Other reccomendation . This is, the one I use ! Pocket knife , and wire wheeling. Scrape as much off as possible , with a Pocket knife ! Then Wire Wheel the rest .

Now how I do it . I use combination Approach ! When ever Possible . I either Pull the car too Car wash . Or trailer it Too Car wash . I use High pressure , Hose too knock as much under coating off as possible .
Dont for gett, the Fender Well's ? Maybe you own a Pressure washer ? Or can Borrow one ?

If Pressure washin , is out of the Question ? Then Knife Fighting 101 Is what your left with . Wax on Wax off , Grass Hopper . Gett too Scrapping !!

I use chain saw Gloves , for scrapeing with a knife . <<< safer there like chain Mail <, How ever it's Speeled ? Scrape away from your self etc .

Pressure washing can save you over 1/2 the labour ? <<, Worth the Hassle ? When ever possible . Safer , Less Garbage too breathe etc.

Now best too start inside. Remove seat's , Pull tar board's up . Use Angle grinder , with Wire wheel . Keep a dry vacc handy . Keep as much lose stuff as possible , Vaccumed up . Using wire wheel Both on a Drill , and an Angle grinder , Find out where cancer Stop's and Car beginn's .

You feel, the Drill or Angle Grinder , Heatin up ? Lett them Cool off ! Easily burn them up . On a Job like this . Switch out too knife !

Cut and weld patches in ! <<, This will also Help too gett Under coating off the Bottom <<< Less Scrapeing . Welding in the Patch will Burn off some of the Under coating . << Avoid breatheing it .

Any area being welded . << Needs too be clean of Paint , and under coating . Be aware that , theres a Rubber gasket , Between Body and Pann. <<, Dont wanna get it Hot and Melt it / Burn it . But Weldin patch in will losin under coating . Just scrape 3/4 inch around patch seam . So weld is Clean .

Other thing . I want too point out . That Steel line on drivers side that runn's along the Tunnel . It's a Brake line . Dont hitt it with Angle grinder wire wheel . Or smash it . Kink it ! Fold spindle or mutilate it .

Instead Gently clean it up . With Drill wire brush . Then inspect it . <<< If this line leak's , at a later date ? It will instantly peel , your paint Jobb , and cause your new Tar board's too come up , or disinergrate intoo black mush .

As too the Tunnel . If Tarr board and tunnel are in good shape . Might consider , not removeing tarr board . Or be carefull not too damage tarr board . If not remove it ?

As too under coating the Bottom , of the Pann . Before under coating , the Bottom of the Pann . You Will want too Retorque your pann Bolts . << Kinda hard too do , if there coverd in Marhyde , under coating ? Also consider that Body removal , May be Something in the future . That you might consider when Painting the Car .

In other wards Might just wanna Mist the Edge of the Pann , Around the Body Bolt's ? So as too be able too get a Socket on them ? With out having too Scrape the Under coating off . Alway's work too keep your Option's open .

Clean her up . Wire brush her , Down . Take some new pic's . Lett's see what we have here ?

Again ! Protect what you love ! By not gettin Hurt ! Safety Glasses and Goggles , and Particles Mask !!!!! You gett hurt ? The whole Car thing Loses it's Appeal real quick ! Your responsibility , too work safely ! By doing so you Protect , what you Love !

Somethin Badd happen's ? It will never be the Same ! Pretty Much the Love affair is over, after somethin Badd Happens !

For I forgett . Battery Box . Before you wire wheel . Clean up etc. I use Green Scotch Brite Padd . << Usually, stolen Off Kitchen sink ? Too scrubb out Battery Box , with soap and a Hose . That way your not breatheing Battery Acid , When wire wheelin it Clean ?

Most likely Your Battery Box will have a Hole in it, too Drain ? If not Post again . We can discuss a Drain .

Be aware , that every time . I got Somethin in my Eye ? << Been More than 3 or 4 Times :D I was wearin Safety Glasses !!! And or Goggles AKA face mask ! 35+ Year's of Metal Fabrication . It happend ! Eye protection , is not a Gaurantee . Eye Protection is not perfect ! Keep Glasses Pushed tight too your Face . <<, This one got me twice ! Other time's ? Was when I was , Under Car or On my Back Or bent over, almost upside Down .

Use your Head ! Be carefull ! << At the risk of repeating myself, Over , and Over ! Use Good Goggles , and Face sheild both ! Especially when at weird Angles and Posistion's ! You be Lucky too get thru this , car ? With out at least a few minor Mishapp's ! So Keep them Minor Mishapp's !

:D Sean

#3 ·
i can get entire pans for 159.99...
but i figured family welded for free.. and free sheet metal was a better track... but ofcourse the other pans are pre fit..

and this is not..
but again u dont know the quality of the pans

idk yet

but what should i use for the spots other than the floor pan

like on the hood.. and etc.
-Cam :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.