body filler chipping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

body filler chipping

Hope you guys can help I have filled the joint between the rocker and the 1/4 panel and when sanding, and almost to a feather edge I noticed that the edge didn't look right so I pecked on the edge with a scraper and it chipped off, so I tried just scraping and a lot of it would just chip off. I had sanded the metal with 80 grit paper before I started and I used evercoat rage gold. Now my question, should it have chipped off like that, did I use the wrong grit paper, could the filler been mixed wrong (I mixed per the instructions) My shop temp. was about 65 deg. was that too cold? Maybe I did something that I should not have done or didn't do something that I should have, any suggestions/help info that any of you guys can give me would be appreciated. Also should I clean all the rest off even if it appears to be bonded? Thanks for your help. BILL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
The metal temp could have been too cold, the metal not clean, it wasn't actually roughed up right in that spot with 80. Those are some of the reasons that could do it.

Brian
Old 10-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Yeah like brian said could be one of several reason. Did you mix in a decent amount of hardener, and was it mixed well. If the filler is still soft when you sand, it won't feather and will just tear away. Same goes for the other extreme, if you add way too much hardener it could make it more brittle. You do have a pretty good latitude on how much hardener you can add though. And was it clean, and you didn't apply it over any paint (some can be, but most are not recommended over paint, and some old tech unactivated paint can just continue chipping away at the edge and when you sand not want to feather edge) Filler will chip if its chisled or struck, but just a light scraping like it sounds like you did, shouldn't really have it chipping off.
If I do apply over metal, I like to go course and grind where I will be applying filler, as that was the way I was taught and really didn't get away from it. But more often I will sand and apply epoxy filler first. But sanding with 80 should have worked for adhesion.
Another thing is that seam is often brazed. Body filler may not like sticking to the brazing, and it should be removed or epoxy primer applyed over it first. But really, if the brazing was not removed and then that seam welded up solid, your body filler won't last that long anyways before it cracks in the seam area. The factory often brazes the seam, and then applys a flexable seam sealer. If you intend to fill the seam, it needs to be welded solid, if you haven't.
Hard to say if it was too cold. The metal temp (was the metal warm?) and cleanliness is more important then shop temp.
It could even possibly be the can of filler itself or the tube of hardener went bad, it can happen.

Last edited by kenseth17; 10-26-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Body filler chiping

Much thanks to you guys for your help, from what you all have said I tend to think that I did not roughen ths surface enough, I willgo back and try that first. THANKS AGAIN BILL

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.