Hot Rod Forum banner

Body filler help

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mitmaks 
#1 ·
As of lately it seems like I have been having trouble with body filler curing properly due to high humidity (Houston Texas weather), cool weather, etc. and wanted to get some tips that could help out or recomendations in diffrent brands(currently using rage extreme and z grip).

Also working conditions have changed as i am no longer working inside a shop but outside under a car port. Will heat lamps be an answer or will they just cure the top surface? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!! :welcome: :D :cool:

#2 ·
you need to make sure your body panel is warm enough to accept filler. I wouldn't want to put filler over panel that's colder than 50F, at the most. Are you putting enough hardener into it?
Working inside would help out a lot. I wouldn't work with filler if weather is too cold, wait till spring or something.

#3 ·
mitmaks said:
you need to make sure your body panel is warm enough to accept filler. I wouldn't want to put filler over panel that's colder than 50F, at the most. Are you putting enough hardener into it?
Working inside would help out a lot. I wouldn't work with filler if weather is too cold, wait till spring or something.
I've played with the hardener of adding just the right amount on some batches to some batches where I add a little extra(Had bad results as it didn't even cure :( ) I am applying it pretty thin but still feels a bit soft even after 3-4 hours.

I bought a heat gun at harbor freight to warm up the metal to a nice warm touch but doesnt seem like I got good results from it. :drunk:

For most part I have been playing with the Rage extreme so I might have to mess with the z grip a bit more as I read a while ago on a body filler topic that they say it cures even in cold weather!!! I am thinking the humidity is what is messing me up.

On another note the dynatron putty is curing with no issues!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.