Body filler in huge dent. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 02:03 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body filler in huge dent.

OK so my daily has a huge dent about a foot long and almost as high,in the drivers fender.I don't want to put a fender on,so thuse far I poped the dent partialy out as far as I could and slathered bondo over it(3/4" in spots ).The paint is peeling really bad so I scrapped it down to the primer befor I added the bondo.
Now any tips on how to make it look half way decent??I don't mind if ya can notice its been bondo'ed alittle,I just don't want the rocky mountains on the side.Its dented allong the body line and on a spot that is curved.
I suck at body work evan trying my damnedest with help and access to a DA,blocks etc...I can't evan fill a minor dimple without it showing evan when I feather etch around the dent,and block and spend hours.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2004, 02:45 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

i'd take that bondo down and put on some chopped fiberglass filler, then once that is all set put bondo overtop. I don't think bondo holds up too well when it's that thick

i'm just learning too though
Old 08-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
This (click here) is all I have to offer. You could spend some time on the metal and get it a LOT closer you know.

One of the biggest problems is that if you are looking at 3/4" deep spots, there is a super high possibility that there are high spots as well, very high spots in the metal. If that is the case, you are going to have one heck of a time when you are finishing the "bondo" work and you are hitting these high spots.

Most likely they will be on the "other side" of a body line. So if this dent is in the middle of the fender and you say it goes into the body line above it, there is a VERY good chance there is going to be a high spot (a brow or crown in this case) over that body line somewhere.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Good point about the brow over the body line I hadn't thought of that.If there is could I tap it in w/ a hammer or something??
As far as smoothing the panel better theres no way to get behind it its a FWD with the inner fender being steel and part of the frame.I ain't gonna pull the fender off otherwise I'd put another on it,so I stuck a prybar behind it from underneith and poped it out as best as I could.
Basically w/ me doing it theres really no conceiveable way its gonna look too good(I won't evan touch my project's bodywork),but I just wanna get it looking non laughable.
My real question I guess is how can you tell when its smooth or not???I've been shown how to feel for it and how to feel using a piece of paper in my palm etc...All I feel is a car under my hand,I can't tell the differance between a dent and a smooth panel.
Maybe I should forget it,DA what I've got,add one more layer to the really lowspots DA it again and say screw it???
Old 08-29-2004, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

What kind of car is this?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

MARTINSR its a 94 dodge shadow,just my daily tranportation.I think I'm gonna spray it befor this winter cause oits been peeling since I got it three yrs ago and now has surface rust spots allover it.I wanna spray it befor it rots cause its got new everything else and hate to have the body rot first and I figured I'd just make the fender look OK so I can spray over it.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

$75.00 click here
Old 08-30-2004, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

Ooohhh,you want me to spend money??
Thanks

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.