Body Filler vs. Lead - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body Filler vs. Lead

I am confused on Body Fillers. Mostly, using a product like Evercoat's Metal2Metal vs. Lead or Eastwood's Lead-free Lead or even Rage. I am looking for something that will be there in 20 years and still look good.

Can anyone shed light on Metal2Metal or Lead? Which is best? Easiest and longer lasting? When I look at tensile strength Metal2Metal looks to be 2000 p.s.i. vs Lead-free at 9000 p.s.i. I am not even sure this is an even playing field (meaning specs the same?) or a good way to compare.

C'mon guys, TEACH ME!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Back in "the day" when lead was king there was nothing else to use. With the advent of modern day plastic fillers lead was on it's way out. As the plastic got better and better and lead was found to cause brain damage the use of plastic fillers became more prevalent.
With today's technology there is really no reason to use lead unless you are going hardcore old school on a build. The two parts are so much easier to use it is not funny and they do last longer. Using lead requires using an acidic "flux" to get the lead to stick. If this flux isn't cleaned out or some gets buried in the lead it will eat it's way out. That's why a lot of old customs look so tough after a few years of neglect. Moisture and flux makes for a caustic mix with sheet metal.
I have used metal2metal as a base in a few instances but I will suggest sticking with a good two part polyester for most of your filling. The key to longevity is prepping and finishing the back side of a repair as well as the front. Leaving filler open to the elements on the back side is just as bad as not finishing the front. worse, actually because you can't see what is going on...
Mark
Old 08-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
20 years? If a quality modern polyester filler is used even remotely correct it will out last you and I both!

Brian
Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

O.K., so you both don't think the Metal2Metal is worth it, right? Same for Lead-free lead-Why do you think they make Metal2Metal?

If two part Polyester Filler is the best way to go, which one is the best?

Craig
Old 08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
"Best", that could start a heck of a debate. I think most would agree that any Evercoat product is quality. Rage or the better Rage Gold or Extreme are darn good products.

"Metal2Metal" is ok but sands so darn hard and doesn't feather worth a darn. Regular old Rage Gold will do just about anything you want.

Brian
Old 08-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Brain,

Thank you very muich for the fast reply-I have spared no expense on this build and I just want to use te best materials available. Rage it is!

Thanks again,
Craig
Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
"Best", that could start a heck of a debate. I think most would agree that any Evercoat product is quality. Rage or the better Rage Gold or Extreme are darn good products.

"Metal2Metal" is ok but sands so darn hard and doesn't feather worth a darn. Regular old Rage Gold will do just about anything you want.

Brian
All above is right and all the companies make great fillers if its their premium one but like most people on here you have to give Fiberglas Evercoat an edge,

Just one thing with the tensile strength ratings, you do know neither lead or filler is used for structural purposes?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Barry,

Yes, I am aware of that (I have spent countless hours on Body Work trying to Metalfinish everything possible with a long way still to go ). There are places that I just cannot access to planish, and Tensile strength seemed to be the only way to compare.

Thanks.,
Craig
Old 08-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Am with Martin on the metal 2 metal products. Hard to sand, hard to know if mixed properly etc etc. Not worth the added cost and hassle, personally I feel its a gimmick.

Evercoat makes some darn good fillers, personally prefer rage gold. Rage would be my second choice. Rage xtreme is nice but too thin, dont really care for it.

Upol also makes great fillers with my all time favorite being dolphin glaze. Similar to the metal glaze made by evercoat, meant for small imperfections or the final skim coat...Eric
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Another vote for Evercoat products! I use Everglass for a base over any patchwork then finish with Rage extreme. The metal2metal filler, allumafill and similar are junk IMO-I've seen failures with these products. Evercoat's easysand is my preferred glaze but Upol's Dolphin glaze and regular metal glaze also work really good. I do use bodysolder from time to time in areas like door strikers, panel edges, and similar but only if there are no open seams and when I can be sure there won't be any voids to trap acid. There is a little science to doing leadwork right being carefull not to trap acid, proper tinning, the right heat so all impurities end up on top, not folding in any rosin during paddling, careful cleaning of all rosin before shaping.... 95% of my filler work is polyester. Using epoxy primer below your polyester products is the best way to go-if you have the time. Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.